Chapter 14 • Sleepless

"I feel love, throwing it all away
I'm sleepless and tell me you're all the same"

Sleepless // Novo Amor

***

"It was only a one hour time difference but I think the train ride did me in," Abby sighs. "When we get back to my flat, wanna go to bed?"

Arthur, our cab driver, clears his throat and I notice his bewildered expression in the rearview mirror. I can't blame him, though. He's practically watching a woman having a conversation by herself.

"Harry, love, did you hear what I said or were you daydreaming?"

"N-no, I heard you, I just uhm, yeah, I was daydreaming is all. Sorry."

"It's okay. I was just saying I'll probably go to bed straight away when we get home."

"Is everything alright there, miss?" Arthur's concerned tone earns our attention. "Do you need some help?"

"Help? No, I'm fine, thank you for asking though," Abby replies, sliding her hand over to mine and she holds onto it. "So, has it been raining all day like this?"

"Uhm, yeah, it has," Arthur clears his throat, no doubt feeling awkward by the situation. "Had non-stop rain for two days in a row. You lucked out being away."

"Mhm," Abby hums with a smile, leaning closer to me. "Oh God, I'm actually dreading going home. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Paulette is going to give me a lecture on how irresponsible I am and if it's anything like her novel-long text the other night, I don't think I'll get any sleep tonight."

I don't know how to respond because I'm thinking the same thing and if I'm being honest, I hope Paulette talks some sense into Abby's head.

I can't let her throw away her future for me.

"Here we are, miss," Arthur says, pulling the cab over to the curb. "Got you as close to the gate as I could. Need help with your bags?"

"No, I've got it, thanks," Abby huffs out a determined breath, fitting her backpack over her shoulder and gripping her small suitcase. "Alright, let's make a run for it."

In my odd physical state, I merely step out of the car while Abby runs around the back of the car and squeals as she sprints up to the gate.

"C'mon, Harry!"

Shaking my head with a smile, I jog to catch up with her and we continue making our way to her flat. With each step, Abby's clothes become soaked by the rain and the puddles she's no doubt intentionally stepping in.

My pretty pea has always been a free spirit.

"Look at us," Abby giggles as I follow her up the steps to the door. "We're soaked!"

There's no need to point it out. She'll realize my hair and clothes aren't wet soon enough.

As she fits her key into the doorknob, she slows her breaths and opens the door. Holding the door open for her comes as second nature to me and I quickly realize I'm not actually holding it open.

This is so frustrating.

"Paulette, we're-, I'm back," Abby corrects herself, giving me a nervous look and we step inside the flat. There's no answer and she shuts the door, shrugging a shoulder. "We lucked out. I guess she's not here."

A noise from down the hallway captures our attention and the door to the loo opens. Paulette steps out and notices Abby, huffing out a breath before walking over.