Chapter 12 • Cavalry

"Did you ache from all your bravery?"

Cavalry // Novo Amor & Ed Tullett

***

I haven't had to hold Abby's hair back while she empties her stomach since our first year of uni. While it's something I haven't particularly missed, it brought back memories of our fraternity and sorority party life together.

Thankfully, both of us realized after failing a couple classes in our first semester that our education was more important than fitting in with the popular crowd.

I'm surprised that she has even allowed any sort of alcohol to pass her lips in the first place considering that's what tore her family apart.

I remember the night that she climbed up to my bedroom window in tears as if it were yesterday. After I helped her inside, it took her a good five minutes to compose herself to tell me that her mum nearly destroyed their house in a drunken rage when her dad told them he had had enough of her drinking and was leaving.

We were seniors in high school and feeling the pressure of midterms and deciding which universities to visit, so the stress of her dad leaving her with her alcoholic mum broke her, as it would anybody.

I can't believe she drank so much last night though. Maybe she's just stressed. Graduation is coming up and she's still grieving my death. But I'm with her. Well shit, that's confusing for me, so I can only imagine how confusing it is for Abby.

The click of the bathroom door brings me out of my thoughts and I move to sit up in the bed.

"Feel better?" I quietly ask and Abby nods while covering her yawn. "I knew a shower would help."

Tightening her robe's belt, she sits on the edge of the bed with a huff. Since she's freshly showered, her skin is dewy and glowing and I must admit that my pretty pea looks even prettier without any makeup on.

"I can't believe I passed out last night," she sighs, removing the towel from her wet hair.

"You were just tired from the train ride and our walkabout in the city," I try to reason with her and she gives me a look.

"Harry, I was proper pissed and acted like a fool. I ruined our first night in Paris."

"You didn't act like a fool and you didn't ruin anything, love," I reassure her and she huffs out a breath, raking her hand through her wet hair.

"Well, no more wine for me."

"That's fine, but I won't judge you if you do drink."

"No, you don't understand," her voice cracks and she covers her mouth with her hand.

"What's the matter, Abs?" I ask, scooting closer to her and I place my hand on her shoulder. "What is it, love? Tell me. Please?"

She shakes her head and starts to cry, falling into my chest. I wrap my arms around her back and hold her close, resting my chin on her wet hair.

A sob leaves her mouth as she leans back to look at me and there's a desperation in her eyes. With a sad smile, I dry her tears with the pads of my thumbs and she closes her eyes.

"I don't want to end up like my mum."

"What? No, you're not going to end up like your mum."

"Ha," Abby scoffs, opening her eyes to mine and a tear rolls down her cheek. "What do you call not being able to control your alcohol consumption?"

Well shit. How do I answer her? Wait, I know!

"Your mum has a disease. You don't. There's no comparison. So you had a little wine? We're in Paris; they have wine at breakfast. Hell, I'd be concerned if you didn't drink."