Chapter 13: Hero

Ryder's POV

After hours, I finally calmed down. I just sat in the waiting room, looking in my lap; my thighs wet from all the tears. I just wanted to be in Jacob's arms again, where he held me tight and would never let me go, where he would kiss my neck softly, and tell me I was beautiful. "Excuse me, Ryder, you are allowed to see Jacob now if you would like." A nurse said smiling. I just nodded my head and she directed me to his room. I walked in and tried to stay strong and not cry, but it was so hard...looking at the one person I truly love be hurt. The doctor was sitting down writing on his clipboard and when he saw me he leaped up. "Ryder, nice to see you. Jacob is doing alright considering the severity of his  injuries.. he has broken his lower spine and it will take months of physical therapy to get him walking again..he also fractured his skull and required imediate surgery, to prevent brain injury. Would you like some time alone with him?" He explained and asked me. It was too painful to speak, I knew if I opened my mouth, I would start to sob. I just nodded yes and he left. I grabbed a chair and pulled it up to the side of his bed. I grabbed his hand and rubbed it, then I kissed him on his forehead. I saw him open his eyes slowly and I got really excited, but I didn't want to scare him, so I just smiled. He slightly turned his head and looked into my eyes and smiled. "Ryder."  His voice was raspy. I looked into his eyes. "Jacob, I thought you were gonna die." I started to tear up. He started to laugh, but he struggled. "I will always be here with you forever baby, I wouldn't leave this earth without you, I love you more than all the stars in the sky and all the planets in the universe." He managed to say. I squeezed his hand even harder and kissed his lips. He smiled. "Will you kiss away the pain?" he asked. I laughed and kissed his lips again and put my  head on his shoulder, I fell asleep.