Chapter 12: Why?

Ryder's POV 

I ran back to my house, tears dry under my eyes. I looked across the street and saw Jacob's mom pulling out of her driveway, she got a call. I quickly ran over to her car and asked if I could come with her to the hospital, she kindly accepted and I got in. I looked at her face and she was trying her hardest not to cry. "You're Jacob's girlfriend, right?" Jacob's mom asked. I let out a simple "Uh huh." We got there and Mrs. Whitesides parked, but did not get out of the car. "I'm not ready, I can't see my baby like this, I just can't handle it." She said. A tear finally fell from her eye. She told me to go without her and she'd stay in the car, I hesitated. I got out of the car and walked to the door. "Hi uhm I'm Ryder, and I-I'm here-" I couldn't finish my sentence, because my tears overwhelmed me. The receptionist got up and hugged me, she brought me over to one of the chairs in the waiting room and sat down next to me. "Honey, it's alright, who are you here to see?" She asked squeezing my hand. "Jacob Whitesides." I managed to say. She went over to her desk and quickly returned back to me. "I'm sorry sweetie, you can't see him right now, he is in the operating room for emergency surgery." I felt like my head was going to burst, I could feel the blood rushing through my body, my cold hands..no longer cold, the next thing I know I'm screaming and hitting the coffee table with my fists, I could see the people looking at me like I was insane. The receptionist grabbed me and so did another doctor, they took me away from the waiting room and put me on the ground. I was wheezing and tears soaked my face and the top of my shirt. My sadness turned into anger quickly. Why Jacob?  Why not me? Jacob didn't deserve this.