Abstract Daddy (Monster)

Other Names: Ideal Father

Health: High

Locations: Labyrinth and Lakeview Hotel

Weapons: None

Attack Methods: Hugging

Description: Abstract Daddy, also known as Ideal Father, is a monster James Sunderland encounters in Silent Hill 2.

This bizarre bed monster is a manifestation of Angela Orosco's traumatic memories of her father, Thomas Orosco, and her brother, raping and sexually abusing her on a bed.

James first faces this monster as a boss near the end of the labyrinth, while smaller, weaker variants can be found later on in the Lakeview Hotel.

                                                                                   Appearance

The Abstract Daddy appears as 2 entangled bodies lying on the frame of a bed, covered in a "blanket" of putrid skin, with the 2 forms fused together, apparently having sexual intercourse. The 2 figures seem to be trapped in a rectangular board, with the "male" or upper figure's arms and legs dangling out the bottom. It moves on all fours, and the lower portion of the beast has the appearance of a bed with 4 posts. On the bottom of the monster is a long vertical slit. It also has 2 distorted mouths.

It is likely that Angela views the monster differently that James, and that she sees her own father Thomas as the monster, which is why she calls it "daddy". However, because James did not know Thomas, it takes the form of a monster.

                                                                                   Character

The Abstract Daddy attacks by standing up and putting James's head into its slit. When this occurs, repeatedly tapping "X/A" and wiggling the analog stick will get it off faster and lessen his damage.

Because these attacks require close contact with its prey, and due to the cramped conditions of the room, it's wise to run from end to end diagonally and fire at it with the shotgun once, then run to the other end. Doing so will result in little to no damage. The rifle can also be used, and its power surpasses that of the shotgun, but firing it makes James stall longer, giving the beast the opportunity to attack and is therefore not recommended for novice players. Once the player inflicts enough damage upon the creature, it will fall and deflate, deceased.

The monsters in the Lakeview Hotel are different from the boss version. These move much faster, but are much easier to kill, taking only 2 shotgun blasts to knock down. They also do not attack unless provoked.

                                                                                Symbolism

The Abstract Daddy represents Angela's father, Thomas Orosco, and/or brother, hanging over her on a bed. The figure beneath screams in torment, while their "mouths" resemble a vaginal cavity. These aspects represent Angela's sexual abuse and anguish, and the sexual violence of her father and/or brother. The lover sphere head means "Angela in mirage of nightmare".

The room the monster is fought in likely represents Angela's uterus. On the fleshy walls of the room are holes with pistons making thrusting motions, akin to a penis thrusting in and out of a vagina. These further evoke Angela's perspective of her rape: a mechanical, inescapable experience. It is possible every piston is symbolic of how many times she was molested (23).

Another possible theory is that it represents abusive masculinity, in that James suffocated his wife, Mary Shepherd-Sunderland, while she was in bed. This would explain why both Angela and James can see the monster, as they are both involved with mentality at hand. Sexuality is also relevant here, as James felt sexually frustrated because of his bedridden, ill wife. At the end of the battle, Angela likens James to her father, saying he's only after "one thing".