Pyramid Head (Monster)

Other Names: Red Pyramid Thing

Health: High (sometimes invincible)

Locations: Wood Side Apartments, Blue Creek Apartments, Brookhaven Hospital, Labyrinth and Lakeview Hotel

Weapons: Great Knife, Great Spear and Bare hands

Attack Methods: Stabbing and swinging Spear, Swinging the Great Knife, Lifting with arm and choking and Punching

Description: Pyramid Head is a (and in two cases, a duo of monsters) that debuted in as one of the primary antagonists. Since its creation, Pyramid Head has become one of the most well-known and iconic monsters in the franchise, turning into something of a mainstream figurehead for the series. 

It is more likely that Pyramid Head is a type of monster rather than a single entity, given two Pyramid Heads side-by-side at the end of Silent Hill 2, and there could have been many more wandering the town of  Silent Hill, Maine.

They are usually portrayed as, at the most basic, violent monsters. A deeper meaning given to them explains their existences as punishers and executioners of sinful humans. In Silent Hill 2, one Pyramid Head proves his acts of violence are not aimed solely at humans, as he has also brought harm to the other creatures that inhabit Silent Hill.  

                                                                                   Appearance

                                                                 Basic design and inspiration

Masahiro Ito, the monster designer of Silent Hill 2 as well as most of the other installments, created art of a mechanical creature with a geometrical-shaped head while studying at the Tama Art University in 1995. This would later help serve to inspire Pyramid Head's design.

Pyramid Head's helmet is inspired by a German experimental ramjet-powered interceptor designed in 1944 known as the Lippisch P.13a. The edges of the helmet is inspired by the skirt of the lower hull of the German tank "King Tiger" in World War II. 

For Silent Hill 2, Ito wanted a monster with a hidden face to make it less human and more disturbing. His first idea was a monster with a mask, but he realized that it was nothing more than a human garbed in a simple facial disguise. He then took the concept further, giving the monster a head in the shape of a triangle with sharp right angles and acute edges that suggest the possibility of pain.  

In all forms, Pyramid Head's appearance is that of a large, muscular human, and typically is seen wielding the Great Knife or Great Spear. The appearance of the frightening monster is based off the executioners that plagued the juncture of lofty occult activity in Silent Hill's history.

                                                                                  Silent Hill 2

In Silent Hill 2, they don a white robe-like outfit with no sleeves, seemingly rubber gloves and what appears to potentially be mostly fused fingers; however, under close inspection, his fingers are not entirely one mesh, as his thumbs are independent. Although his four other fingers are still vaguely discernible, the fact that they never separate in-between suggests the fused state, yet another possibility of affliction incarnated into the creature. Their iconic pyramid-shaped helmets look to be a rusty hunk of metal grafted onto their head, with a single hole drilled into the upper side. A tentacle or tongue-like appendage can snake out of this hole while choking.