Mary (Boss) (Monster)

Health: High

Locations: Otherworld Lakeview Hotel roof

Weapons: None

Attack Methods: Tentacle whip, Tentacle strangulation, and Moth swarm

Description: Mary is the final boss of Silent Hill 2 and is encountered after climbing a metal stairwell at the end of the Otherworld Lakeview Hotel.

James Sunderland encounters either a manifestation of Mary Shepherd-Sunderland or Maria in the form of Mary in the game's final scenes, depending on the player's actions throughout the game:

If Maria in the "Leave", and "Rebirth" endings, he rejects her and this causes her to transform.

If Mary in the "Maria" ending, she is angry about James needing Maria and blames him for her death and then proceeds to attack him, initiating the final boss fight. However, it is ambiguous if this truly is Mary.

                                                                                   Appearance

She appears as a version of Mary's diseased corpse displayed in a metal frame, similar to the Flesh Lip, likely referencing Mary's hospitalization. She is suspended in the metal frame, screaming and upside-down. The frame has sharp spikes at the end, referencing Mary's pain and suffering.

Mary wears some sort of triangular hood, restricting her head movement. The hood appears attached to the frame as if she is unable to escape from it. The hood also has a massive, long, dark tentacle which Mary can use to strangle James.

                                                                                     Character

Mary has multiple attacks. One attack is spewing forth a swarm of moths from her mouth in order to injure and delay James, as the insects are flesh-eaters, although she only tends to use this attack when James is far away from her. She can also hit James with the frame she rests in, use her tentacle to strangle him, or use her tentacle as a whip, provided that he is within range.

She takes quite a bit of damage before falling, so saving up ammunition for the encounter would be recommended, though it is not necessary; she eventually falls herself. It is very difficult to attack her with a melee weapon due to the metal frame and tentacles she uses. The rifle is the best choice to fight her with. After she falls to the ground, she whispers James's name repeatedly. One last blow to the now-helpless monster ends the fight.

                                                                                    Symbolism

                                                                The monster in relation to Mary

When Mary was ill, she had overwhelming feelings of anger, sorrow, pain, loneliness, helplessness, denial, and a deep disgust in her body due to her disease. She felt her predicament was unfair. As Mary said in her letter, "When I first learned that I was... going to die... I didn't want to accept it", Mary was conflicted and confused about her true feelings-sometimes, she told James that she wanted to die- at other times, she told James she didn't. She lashed out violently at James, much like this boss does.

The metal lattice probably symbolizes Mary's sense of confinement in being bedridden due to her illness.

Ironically, Mary can also use the tentacle to strangle James, similar to his asphyxiation of her.

The monster wears some sort of tight headgear meaning her hair isn't visible. This could be a reference to Mary's hair loss caused by her disease. Alternatively, the hood- which resembles that on a nun's habit- may reference Mary and James's state of forced celibacy due to her illness.