Chapter 2 - Nick's New Life

Albert's POV

"Nick...Nick Meyers! Oh, my what? Are you OK?" I asked him. Then I heard the one thing that I never thought would come out of his mouth.

"I need a place to stay. Can I join the Newsies?" He said everything without raising his eyes from the ground. After he said that, I spent what felt like an eternity just looking at him. Wondering what would push him to say that. I mean, I knew exactly what I was going to say, but I couldn't form any words at that moment.

"Of course, you can. You're my friend. You are always welcome." I said after quite a while. Soon after he mumbled something under his breath, but I didn't quite catch it.

Nick's POV

"I'm glad someone thinks that." I said quietly. I don't think Albert heard what I said, but he didn't ask as I got up off the curb and we began to walk at a steady pace through Manhattan. Walking through the city at night is actually really fascinating when you are not running to get home early enough for...them...not to notice that you are late.

Before I know it, the old, worn-out sign for the newsboys lodging house was directly in front of us. Albert strode up the steps to the door but didn't open it. Instead he turned around because he didn't hear my footsteps on the stairs leading up to the door; and walked back down towards me. He put his arm around my shaking body and slowly guided me up the scuffed stone steps to the entrance.

"You's ready, Nick?" He asked. I didn't say anything but nodded my head as a way of saying yes and hiding how nervous I actually was. Albert flung open the door and immediately a wave of movement and various noises engulfed me. All of the them fighting to be heard over the other.

"Ay! Jack get over here!" He yelled once we had stepped over the threshold and the door was closed behind us. Somehow, his voice carried all the way over the crowded room to a boy dressed in blue, who I could only guess was Jack. He got up and sauntered casually over. He looked about 17 and seemed to me to be the leader of the Newsies, by the fact that they all moved out of his way when he came over and all greeted him in a multitude of separate ways.

Albert's POV

"Hey Albert. How are ya? How's ya selling been?" Jack asked.

"Uh, good for both, but I can't say the same for Nick." I replied, gesturing behind me to where he was standing sheepishly with his back against the door. Jack wandered around me to look at Nick and when he raised his hand for a handshake, Nick flinched like Jack was going to hit him.

Jack and I were a bit shocked, but once he realised that no one was going to hit him, he took Jack's hand and shook it.

"Welcome to the Newsies. I'm Jack Kelly and this is Albert DaSilva." He said.

Nick's POV

"Yeah, I know Albert. I'm Nick Meyers." A deathly hush fell over the room once the other boys heard my name. They all got up slowly and either whispered among themselves or came and gathered around Jack, Albert and me. I wished I knew what they were saying, but I could guess. I figured they were talking about my parents and the fact that there is a rumour that I have a younger sister, but no one knows about her...

"Come on, guys, give Nick his space. Back off!" He shouted at the boys; I winced at the sound of his voice. Not because of the things he said, but because he shouted. I think Albert and some of the boys saw this, but they didn't say anything.

"Right Nick, now we have to get you a Newsie name if you want to join us What do you think?" Jack said over the noise of the boys circulating rumours about me and my sister.

"Well," Here goes nothing, "My sister used to call me Mush." There is was. The cat was out of the bag and I had just confirmed that me sister was real; despite what everyone was thinking, and some of them were saying.

"Welcome to the Newsies, Mush! This is your home now, I assume." Jack said as I nodded, and he completely overlooked the new hushed whispers and comments that my remark had created. He shooed off the other Newsies as I began my new life as a Newsie.