Chapter 22 - Strike! (Part 2)

A/N Hi guys! I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in ages, but thanks for sticking with me. I've kinda messed up/changed around the order of what happens, I'm aware of this, so please don't comment to tell me. But other than that, enjoy!

TW: C*ipple slur, swearing, the Delancey's in general

Em's POV (Ginger)

We ran up to the Circulation Gates and waited for the headline to be put up, shouting, hollering and playing around in the street. Then I heard someone call my name over the noise from a few feet behind me.

I turned around and saw the nuns in their cart, waiting with their coffee and bread.

I waved to them and one of them beckoned me over. I left the boys, ran across the road and jumped up the curb.

"Hello Ginger." The first one said as I came to a stop in front of their wooden open-top cart. There were a few sacks in the bottom, probably full of clothes that the church hands out to the homeless people.

"G'mornin' Sisters!" I replied smiling and nodding at each of them.

"Are we ever going to see you in the church at all?" The lady wearing thin wire half-moon glasses asked me.

"I dunno sister. But it's bound ta rain sooner or later!" I replied with a grin.

She sighed exasperatedly. "Did Elmer tell you to say that?"

"Maybe..." He did. 100%. A few days ago, he told me it would be funny to say that. He was right.

"Are the boys coming to get their food?"

"I really don't know. I think they're more obsessed with the headline right now, shall I just take the bread and share it out between them?"

"That would be lovely. Thank you." The lady on the left handed me 2 loafs of bread, smiled at me and waved me goodbye as I went back to the gates.

Elmer's POV

"Ughhh...The trolley strike...Not again!" I complained, taking my head out from in between the bars of the gate.

"Three weeks of the same story!" Race exclaimed.

"They're killing us with that snoozer!" Finch yelled, pointing his arm up to the chalk headline board.

"Hey what's goin' on?" Ginger came back to the gates where we were all staring at the headline.

"There..." I pointed up at the massive chalk board. The guy who wrote up the headline every morning was starting on the sub headings, and they were just as bad...

"Trolley Strike Drags On For Third Week. Shit!" She said, tugging off her hat and whacking it on her leg.

"That's the worst!" I nodded. She put her hat back on her head and tucked her hair back in with her free hand. Then I noticed the loafs of bread she was holding.

"Whatcha got there?" I asked.

"Oh, the nuns----"

"Make way, step aside." Morris said. His brother, Oscar came sauntering up to the gates and unlocked the padlock and the unwound the chain to open the gates.

"Oh, dear me, what is that unpleasant aroma? I fear the sewers may've backed up in the night." Race said.

"Or could it be....." Crutchie said.

"The Delancey Brothas!" We all shouted at them. 

Em's POV (Ginger)

Finch stepped inside the square and said, "Hey Oscar, word on the street says the you and your brother took money to beat up striking trolley workers."