Chapter 8 - Somewhere to belong

A/N I really had no idea of what to put as the pic above! Also...

TRIGGER WARNING - MENTIONS OF ABUSE, SWEARING

Specs' POV

I sat on the bed opposite Elmer, just to make sure he was OK; he was still pretty roughed up, but at least he asleep. Or unconscious, I couldn't really tell. I waited ther for about 5 more minutes, anxious. I was terrified that he wouldn't wake up, we'se had some kids come back like him and not woken up before and I thought that might happen to him. I turned my head away and stared out of the window, my mind buzzing.

Just then I heard movement. I snapped my head back and as it turned out, he was asleep. I saw Elmer sitting up, looking vacant, holding his head.

"Hey. You'se OK?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah. Painful though..." He replied just as quietly.

"Ok. You'se stay here. I'se just gonna tell the boys dat you'se awake. He nodded slowly.

I opened the creeks old door into the main room and just as I did, I heard another door open.

"Guys. E' awake." I said.

Elmer's POV

My eyes opened slowly and looked around. The light from the window partially blinding me.

"Where?...Who?...What?..." I thought. So many thoughts floated around my head the smoke at the train yards.

I sat up and immediately regeted it. My head was pounding, my face and ribs were really painful, and the room span around slightly. Once my head and vision went back to normal, I saw Specs sitting on the bed opposite to me. He was looking away, but as soon as he heard the sheets move, he turned around to look at me.

"Hey. You'se OK?" He talked quite quietly, and I was so greatful, because I think I might've passed out at any loud noises.

"Yeah. Painful thought..." I replied, almost whispering. Specs looked at me and, although his face didn't show it, I could tell that he was worried sick.

"Ok. You'se stay here. I'se just gonna tell da boys dat you'se awake." I didn't want to stay in bed, I was restless and painful, but I nodded anyway. He nodded and opened the door to the main room and told everyone I'se awake.

I heard another door open, so I got out of bed and stumbled over to the door and poked my head out.

Nick's POV (Mush)

I stepped into the main room of the Newsies' Lodging House with Finch; and was kinda shocked by what I saw. A crowd of Newsies was clustering around something or someone. I couldn't quite tell why they were all gathered around because I couldn't see past them all. I was about to go over there and see what all the fuss was about, where I heard someone say,

"Guys. 'E's awake." Instead, I turned my head awake from the crowd and saw Specs and Elmer poking their heads through the door.

"Who's awake?" I heard a girl ask. She got up from where she was sitting and  I recognised her instantly.

"Emmeline!" I shouted across the room. She turned her head towards me and her face lit up.

Emmeline's POV

"Emmeline!" I heard a boy shout at me from the door and I turned my head to see who it was.

"Nick! Oh my god!" I ran over to Nick and gave him massive hug. I hadn't seen him since that day. When...ya know.

"I never thought I'd see ya again!" I cried into his shoulder. I was so happy to see him, that I completely ignored all of the curious faces staring at up!