Chapter 16 - We can't talk here

A/N Sorry that it's a bit late again...Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it and Happy Holidays to all who don't <3

Emmeline's POV

"Right, we'se nearly here!" We stood on the little ramp leading down from the Brooklyn Bridge.

"Why are we in Brooklyn?" I asked slightly warily. I remembered what happened the last time I was here, with the whole Brooklyn Docks thing. But if that hadn't happened I wouldn't've met Elmer, so I guess it's a good thing?

"We'se gonna see Spot Conlon and he can get us some papes since we missed the distribution."

"Oh, yea...sorry 'bout that..." I looked down for a second, then lifted my head back up and looked at Elmer. He smiled and I felt a tiny bit better.

"Hey, it's fine Em. There's just a little way to go." He stepped off the ramp and I followed him into Brooklyn.

After a few more minutes, we came to a the docks and a little pier that I hadn't noticed before. There were about 5 boys around my age, maybe a bit older, some lounging around and some swimming around in the water. I thought they must be cold, it is May though...

As the boys saw us they started yelling at me, I was kinda used to people yelling at me but not like this...!

"Hey little lady! How'd you like a swim?"

"Yea lose the shirt doll face!"

"Lose everything! Especially him! He won't treat ya right..."

"What? And you can?" I replied sassily, surprised at my own confidence.

"Oooo she's a little fire cracker!"

"Well 'ave ya seen 'er hair!?"

Elmer held onto my hand and yelled over the shouts.

"Ey! Roger! Is Spot round 'ere?" Elmer called out to one of the boys playing a card game on the pier. The boy pointed over to the left and up away from the Docks, then got right back to his game.

We both turned our heads and saw a stocky, muscular boy dressed in red standing with his back towards us and his hands on his hips. He was on the raised platform that led back into the city and the bridge.

"Thanks Roger." Elmer nodded to the boy and he nodded back.

"Roger is Spot's right-hand man and he knows where Spot is at all times, well only at the times Spot wants!" Elmer said quietly to me as we made our way up the concrete steps to where he was standing. "And just ignore the boys, they don't mean no harm..."

I nodded and smirked a bit. I squeezed Elmer's hand and he let go when we got level with the boy.

Oh god...

"You..." I whispered under my breath.

"Hey Spot. Sorry for droppin' in here like this."

"Oh, hey Elmer..." He trailed off when he saw me.

"This is Ginger, she's new...Uhhhh, do ya think ya can hook us up with some papes...the Delnaceys stole them back from us when they set eyes on here..."

"Oh that's a new one..." He replied distractedly. Elmer snapped his fingers in front of Spot's face and he snapped right out of whatever daze he was in.

"So, can ya?"

"Yea. Sure. Cards! Take Elmer and get him and his girl some papes." He yelled over to a boy playing, surprise surprise, cards. They boy got up and walked back to what looked like their lodging house. Elmer followed him and I stayed put.

"So you'se a real newsie now, huh..." Spot said after a few awkward seconds of quiet between us.

I nodded, trying very hard to not be annoying enough for his to soak me again.

"Look," He took a deep breath in. "I'se sorry for dumpin' ya in the water. Before, ya know..."

"Ummm, it's ok. I guess." I replied nervously.

"I'm sorry 'bout that...I couldn't stop thinkin' 'bout it. I just--just had some suit goin' on, ya know..."

Spot's POV

God I hate this.

Why did I even say that to her...Probably cause she looks like my sister. My late-sister...

God I hate feelings. But I really did feel bad after soakin' her...She looks so much like Ellie and I beat myself up for the rest of the day.

She looked so scared and I was being all emotional for one of the few times in my life; but I can't afford to be emotional, not with Queens kickin' up a shit storm about Robin and her personal cronies.

God I hate this.

Elmer's POV

I followed Roger back to where Em and Spot were standing about awkwardly.

Neither of them were looking at each other, they were looking everywhere but each other.

"Hey Spot. Thanks so much. What do I owe ya?" I said to break the silence. I stood next to Em and handed her 50 of the 150 papes Cards gave me. Brooklyn always keeps a massive stash of papes in their storeroom of the second floor. No one outside of Brooklyn knows how, and everyone I side Brooklyn is under strict orders...

My guess is some of Spot's boys go and nick 'em before the bell. Or they have a deal with the Delancey's but that's unlikely because the Delancey's are dicks.

She took the papes and hooked her left arm under the stack, she mumbled thanks to me.

"Nothin' "

"What?!" It's not like Spot to let things go for free. "What's the catch, ey Spot?"

"No catch. Consider it a favour." When he said this, he looked directly at Em and nodded at her. She nodded back.

"Well, thanks Spot. See ya around!" I said, leading En away from Spot and the boys and the pier and put of Brooklyn.

I stopped in the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge and stood face to face with Em.

"What happened? When I was gone? Are you alright? What did he do to you?" I was really worried, like I said before, it's really not like Spot to be like that...I've only seen him like this once.

"Elmer! Nothing happened. I'm fine."

"Really..." I wasn't really convinced, and I wanted to know what happened, before I mean. The first time I met Em.

"You really wanna know, El... Everything?"

"Umm, everything...?" I was getting kinda nervous about this, but I had to find out. I had too.

She took a deep breath in and let it out again.

Em's POV

Oh god, what am I doing!?

I am in no way ready to tell him everything! I guess I'm gonna have to though...

I can't stay closed off forever, and Elmer's the only person I trust...

"We can't talk here... where's the safest place you know?"

A/N Jeez sorry that it's a few days late, but I hope you all had wonderful Christmases, and wonderful days if you don't celebrate Christmas 😊

I hope you enjoyed that, please vote, comment and thanks for reading!! ♥️

(Special shout-out to newsies_fan123 )