Chapter 23 - Strike! (Part 3)

A/N Hey guys! So...If you saw my recent announcement, you'll know that I'm now on school summer holidays and I had to take a mental health break, but I should be on more! Thanks for not quitting on me! Also, I've reached a whopping 57 followers! Which is amazing, than y'all so much! <3

Jack's POV

"Davey's back!"

"What?" 

"Davey's back." She repeated. I looked up away from her and saw him. He was up at the window, getting his papes from Weasel. "Shit."

I walked away from Ginger and got half-way to the window, before I stopped. I couldn't.

I know it wasn't a massive deal, but I hadn't seen him in what felt like forever and it felt weird seeing him again. It wasn't like he moved away, or out of the country. He hadn't died, so I didn't understand why we didn't see each other.

Em's POV (Ginger)

Jack walked across the square, but stopped half-way. I made my way over to Race, and sat down next to him on the cart.

"Hey." He said. "Gotcha papes?" 

"Davey's back." He turned to look at me and I pointed over to where he was getting his papes for the day.

Davey's POV

"20 for the new kid." Weasel said to Oscar. "Well, let's see the dime."

"I--I'll pay when I sell them." I replied. Weasel laughed at me and rolled his cigar in his hand.

"Huh...funny kid. Cash upfront." I recoiled slightly, his breath smelled like rotting food out the back of Jacobi's.

"But whatever I don't sell, you buy back, right?" I asked. All that got me was more laughs and murmurs from the boys behind me.

"Certainly! And every time you lose a tooth, I put a penny under your pillow." I sighed. "Come on...Drop the cash and move along." I held up my coin to show him I was paying and dropped it into the payment box. It hit the bottom with a clunk.

I moved down the window and collected a bag. Oscar shoved the papers into my chest and I grabbed them. Les had already got his papers for some reason. I didn't remember him paying at all...

I put my bag on. It felt lighter than before. Something wasn't right. I got my papers out of my bag again and counted them.

"19..." I said under my breath. I waited until Albert had got his papers before speaking up.

"I'm sorry. Excuse me." Everyone looked at me. "I paid for 20, but you gave me 19." Oscar scoffed and rolled his eyes at me.

"See how nice I was to this new kid! And what do I get for my civility?" Out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone storm towards me. He took my papers and counted them himself. 

"Jack..." I whispered.

"Ungrounded accusations."

"I just want what I paid for." I didn't want any trouble, but I still wanted the right amount of papers for my money.

"He said, beat it!"

"Woah..." The chatter in the square died down a little bit. "The kid's right Weasel. You gave him 19. Hey I'm sure it's an honest mistake on account of Oscar can't count to 20 with his shoes on." The boys laughed as Oscar lunged for Jack. He was held back by Weasel, but he defiantly looked like he wanted to punch him in the face.

Weasel, obviously annoyed, took another paper and whacked it into my chest. "Here. Now take a hike!" He yelled.

I folded it and put it in my bag with the other ones.