Dawn & Harry

I walked the streets alone, the crowd of people out for lunch was scarce and I was grateful for that. As I walked farther away from home, I imagined myself walking away from problems. Being in the house was too much for me now, everything reminded me of him.

It happened exactly a year ago, and every day the pain grew. Mom and dad barely spoke, and when they did they were too stressed to be civilized. We couldn’t accept that he was lost, and that he might never come back.

A year ago today, my little brother was taken in the night.

He was six years old at the time, and he turned seven a month ago. Or, at least we hope he made it to his birthday.

I couldn’t help but be pessimistic. It’s been a year now, and no one has called for ransom money, and the police are stumped. I wanted to look at the bright side, but the longer he was gone, the farther away the silver lining got.

I duck my head, covering my face with my wavy, brown hair. I let out a few tears, remembering all of the good times that I had with my brother. I imagined all of the memories that we could have had in the year that was stolen from us. We were 10 years apart, but I still loved him with all of my heart. I could never get mad at him, with his big brown eyes that were so much like mine.

I continue down the long street, looking down at my shoes as tears fall off my chin. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going, so I bumped into someone.

“Sorry,” I mutter, and carry on walking.

“Hey!” He tries to get my attention, and I only make it a few steps before he grabs my arm, turning me to face him. “Are you alright?”

My move my hair from my face to get a better look at him, and turn my gaze to his eyes.

The whole world froze around us. I forget about all of the pain from the past year, all the problems in my life, as he stares back into my eyes.

When I was young and I didn’t understand the cruelty of the world, I had dreamed of meeting the love of my life. But I had never imagined that it would be like this.

My heart soared at the sight of him, and I hoped that I would be able to make him as happy as he’s already made me.

This stranger had already solved all of my problems- I knew that, with him by my side, I would be able to overcome anything and everything.

I could hardly believe that I had lived this long without him. Now, looking at the way his lips were curved up in a small smile, I realized that the only way to live was with him.

It was fate that I met him, and I didn’t want to spend another day without him.

Looking at his brilliant green eyes staring back at me, I knew I was now with my other half.

He opened his pink lips slightly, causing a smile to erupt on both of our faces.

“You’re beautiful.” He whispers and tucks a piece of my hair behind my ear, almost as if he needed to reassure himself that this was real.

“Who are you?” I ask him, stepping closer to his chest.

“I’m Harry.” The way he said his name with his deep accent made my heart melt.

“Aren’t you going to ask my name?”

He chuckled softly. “I didn’t think angels had names.”

I laughed for the first time in a year. “I’m Dawn.”

“That makes sense,” Harry states, slipping his hand into mine. “Dawn is the first sign of light after darkness.”

So, here it was- a teenager and her soul mate, meeting as strangers on the street, walking away together, never to be apart again.

~*~

Look to the right to see the outfit that Dawn wears, and also to see the song for this One Shot.