Alexa & Louis

“I really don’t want to do this.” I told Fliss, but she only smiled sweetly at me. I kicked the mulch beneath the swing I was sitting on and sighed. Fliss was setting me up with a friend of a friend, and she wouldn’t take no for an answer. Apparently, we were perfect for each other.

“You didn’t get all dolled up for nothing- you’re excited, you just won’t admit it.” Fliss smirked and sat in the swing next to me.

I turned to her, my mouth gaping open. “You said we were going out shopping! You told me to dress up nice! I had no idea you were doing this!”

“Oh, come off it.” She shoved my swing. “You secretly want a boyfriend.”

“I’m perfectly happy just the way I am.” I grumbled under my breath, but I knew that Fliss had heard me. I dug my sandals into the earth and had to shake all the mulch out. Fliss had told me to dress my best because she wanted to take me somewhere. She told me nothing else. Imagine my surprise when she took me to a child’s park instead of where she’d implied. I felt ridiculous sitting on a dirty playground with my nicest jean shorts and my favorite light orange collared blouse. I had even gone to the extremes of putting a fancy headband that was adorned with mini flowers.

“Don’t worry; he’s a really nice lad. He’s got good moral, he’s successful, and not to mention very attractive and funny.” Fliss gushed when she described the boy, but I wasn’t convinced.  

“If he’s so fantastic, you date him.” I scoffed and gave her a glare. She knew I didn’t like set up with strangers. If this was a total flop, I was going to blame her.

“I can’t- it would be weird! She’s my best friend and if I dated her brother-”

I groaned and threw my hands in the air. “It’s your friend’s brother?! Fliss, really?!”

“What?” She looked shocked and confused, which wasn’t too unusual.

“Fliss, what if this goes horribly wrong? Won’t you feel obligated to pick your best friend’s side? We’ve only known each other, what- a year? You’ve known her your whole life! This has the potential to be a disaster.”

“Just calm down, Alexa.” Fliss took a dramatic deep breath and motioned for me to join her. “It’ll be okay.”

I took a deep breath and rolled my eyes at the same time. I just wanted to get up and leave the park, getting as far away as possible.

Fliss patted my head and I ignored her, pretending that my nails had suddenly become super interesting. In reality, I was just trying to forget this was even happening.

“Oh look, here they come!” Fliss squealed and stood up, straightening her dress. I looked lazily and searched the crowd for someone who looked our age. Then I spotted two people, a boy and a girl, who were walking towards us. Their arms were wrapped together and they were close together. He kept making her laugh and I had the yearning to be the one with him. I wanted to be holding his hand; I wanted him to tell me jokes.

His brown hair was swept to the side and as he got closer I was able to see his amazing grey eyes. Well, they weren’t exactly grey- they were an interesting combination of blue and grey, always in flux between the two. His striped shirt and rolled up shorts fit him nicely and I could see the outline of his muscles. He was just perfect.

I stood up straight, immediately fixing my clothes so I looked good. I needed him to like me.

They walked closer and I looked over at the girl that hung on his arm. She had long, dark blond hair and big round eyes that were framed with thick lashes. She was beautiful, and my chest grew tight.

Did he even know that he was coming here to meet me? Or did he think this was just with mates and he brought his girlfriend?

I glanced over at Fliss and she was smiling crazily at the two as they stopped in front of us.

“Alexa, this is Lottie, my best mate.” Fliss pointed to the girl and my smile widened. They were siblings, not a couple. I had nothing to worry about- except making sure that he liked me back.

Lottie stepped forward and gave me a quick hug before going back to standing next to her brother.

“And this,” Fliss turned to the boy, “is Louis, the boy I was telling you about.”

 “Nice to meet you, Alexa.  I hope Fliss didn’t tell you too much about me.” He came closer to me, his hand outstretched and a smile on his lips.

I returned the handshake, noticing how soft and warm his hands were. “Why?”

“Where’s the fun in that?” He smirked and lingered for a second before stepping back.

“You’re absolutely right.” I smiled at him, and I had a feeling that we were going to hit it off.

He stared at me for a few seconds. “I like you.” He pronounced and turned to his sister. “I like her.”

“We knew you would.” Lottie grinned at Louis and gave Fliss a high five.

“How’d you know?” I asked curiously. I didn’t doubt them- I could see he liked me and I knew that I liked him.

“You’re both funny and crazy!” Fliss laughed and Louis smirked at me, a twinkle in his eye.

“You’re crazy?” He asked.

Lottie laughed. “From what Fliss has told me, she’s crazier than you!”

I turned to Fliss and gasped. “What did you tell her?!”

“Oh, nothing. Just what you did last night we went to the mall.” She held back laugh.

“That was a dare!” I groaned. I turned to Lottie. “She dared me to do that!” I covered my face with my hands, trying to hide the sheer embarrassment. I wanted to forget the horrible day. We had been playing truth or dare at the food court during a shopping break and Fliss was always creative when I came to dares.

I peeked through my fingers at the giggling girls and a smiling Louis. I dropped my hands and sighed. Were they trying to ruin this? I bet they were going to tell him every stupid thing I’ve ever done.

Louis just smirked at me and shoved his hands in his pockets. “I have a feeling we’re going to get on real well.”