Chapter 33 - Brainless Oaf and Small Talk

A loud roar shattered the air around them as Mard looked up from Lucy's eyes. "Sounds like Brainless Oaf is awake." He said and was quickly glared at. "What? It's relatively accurate from what I've seen."

Rosebud pinched her forehead and groaned. Then she looked up at him and Mard gulped, she was maybe two seconds away from her Lucy Kick. "We need to heal him, he's in the hall."

Mard gave her a nod and walked beside her as Gray trailed behind. As they walked servants bowed their heads to him before resuming their work. Slowly the castle was being put together and he could already breath a bit easier than before. The stench of corpses was dissipating.

"They work fast," Gray said as he let out a soft whistle.

"The choice is simple work to appease their king or suffer my wrath. Not too difficult for many creatures to figure out." Mard replied with a shrug. It just didn't seem like people were grasping the reality of this or the fact he's truly a king.

As they rounded a corner the same imp who was to deliver the missive went flying straight into Rosebud. Mard managed to put his arm around her before she fell. Growling at the imp his hand shot forward and wrapped around its neck. "Watch where you fly."

"I'm sorry my king! This lowly servant apologizes for his error. Please let me live." It cried and beg as Mard dropped it to the ground.

"Has the missive been answered?" He asked.

"Sire, I did not need to travel far. The Water Tribe and a large Tenebris Devil are awaiting you." It said and Mard blinked before he smiled.

"That is perfect, where are they?"

"In the main courtyard, they are great in number." The imp said not bothering to look into his eyes, which was for the best. Mard was thinking of ways to punish it for hurting Rosebud.

"Today I will let you live, tomorrow if you repeat the offense against her, I will not. Leave." He commanded as the imp kissed his boots and quickly flew away.

"That's perfect! Now I won't have to deal with a shaman. It's also reassuring that they, the Water Tribe, survived the war. A Tenebris Devil will be a welcome addition."

"Water Tribe? Tenebris Devil?" Gray asked.

"What about Laxus?" Rosebud asked as another shout rang through the halls.

"When you almost died on me, which you are never allowed to do that again, it was a Water Tribe Devil that saved your life. They are the most gentle of healers. Brainless Oaf will have to wait." Mard replied as Rosebud frowned. He tilted her chin up, "I promise he will be healed soon but this is important. I'll explain as we walk. Gray grab Cobra and meet us in the courtyard."

"Why him?" Gray asked his brows furrowed.

"Because I want both of you to pay attention to the different species types."

"You're planning something." Rosebud said as she nibbled her bottom lip.

"Yes and I'll explain it as we walk. I promise Rosebud." The king said and looking around he placed a kiss to her nose. Mard hated he had to be careful and wanted everyone to know his queen but the current situation wasn't sitting right.

Some of this felt too easy and he was waiting for the outliers who hadn't gotten the message. Then again, he wondered if Lilith was managing potential incomers from the Hell Plane. She was another person he'd have to talk to and soon once his monarchy was restored.

"On it, see you in a couple minutes." Gray said as he ran off and to Mard's shock the man still had clothes on.

Okay, talk Mard. Her stern voice filtered straight into his head as they walked.