Grandpa Zeref

Note: Hard to believe I have writing Thorn for over 2 years and 200k words now. This was pretty much my first long story and wow; I have learned a lot in this time. Part of me wants to apologize to anyone who made it through the first 30 chapters, but I'm also proud that this work shows a timeline of how much my writing has improved. Especially how much Mard and his back story and characterization has improved. It took a long time to understand my favorite demon and his family but I'm happy where we are.

Thank you to everyone who has been here since the beginning. Let's keep going!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Zeref sat out on the patio, enjoying the strawberry lemonade as he flipped through the thick black and gold trimmed photo book. He still couldn't believe how fast Mard and Lucy's little ones had grown up. Seeing them change every year also reminded him of how little time -9 years- they had left before they had to handle Mard's grandfather.

That was a plot twist he had never expected.

The lacrima communication device inside started ringing and he set down the book on the small wooden table before he got up to answer it. Zeref stepped inside, grateful for the slightly cooler air and picked up the receiver of the lacrima mounted device.

"Hello," he said before taking another sip of his lemonade.

"Hello, is this Grandpa Zeref?" the woman asked her voice a rushed squeak.

He arched a brow and the corner of his mouth lifted. Mard and Lucy's demonlings called him Grandpa and every time he heard that moniker being used, he felt a small bit of joy. "This is, who is this?" he asked keeping his voice light and hoping this was nothing serious.

Lucy would kill him if something happened to the kids.

Which would be kinder than what Mard would do.

Followed by what everyone else in their life would do to him. Being Grandpa Zeref was both wonderful and frightening. For a man who once wanted to die, he found himself in a position to no longer wish for that to happen, and instead chose to enjoy life and family.

"Hi this is Principle Anatrel, at Magnolia Elementary School. Scimitar Tartaros had an incident today and I need to speak with her parents, but I understand they are out of town?" She phrased the last part as a question and Zeref lifted a brow.

He didn't understand why the Principle would question the whereabouts of Mard and Lucy. As far as he knew they had handled all the forms and notices to the school that in an emergency they should call the house and speak with him. Zeref found this odd until he realized the woman may just be doing her due diligence.

"They are, King and Queen Tartaros are busy in the Underworld handling important matters of the Kingdom." He figured that might give the woman a small cold splash of reality as to which family she was talking about.

It was also the truth.

Mard and Lucy were busy finalizing the Open Portals Agreement with several dignitaries from different nations in Ishgar. This would allow for more trade and access to modern conveniences in the Underworld and let stranded demons have a chance to come back home or take a vacation.

Zeref – Emperor Spriggan – had whole-heartedly supported the idea and let Alvarez be the first nation to sign the treaty. Alvarez was also the six-month test case and except for a few minor incidents, it had been working well. Even the schools started taking in demons exchange students and they celebrated the Underworld Night of Silence in the nation. It was fascinating to see more of Mard's previous life and hear demons speak about the King and their love for the Queen.