Chapter 17

"Eye of rabbit, harp string hum. Turn this water into rum," Seamus said as he keeps on trying to turn his water into rum.

          It has been a while since Snape and I had the little talk.

          I tried to ask Professor McGonagall about this problem of mine but just like Snape, she didn't tell me anything useful.

          "What's Seamus trying to do to that glass of water?" Harry asked Ron who was miraculously doing homework while eating his lunch.

          A homework that is due in less than an hour.

          Honestly, it's called homework for a reason.

          "Turn it to rum," Ron said as he looked at Seamus.

          I swallowed down my food and leaned in to Harry.

          "He actually managed a weak tea yesterday, before..." I trailed of as I remembered what happened yesterday at class.

          Then suddenly, everyone jumped as a loud explosion rang throughout the hall.

          I laughed along with all the students in the hall when we saw Seamus with a shocked expression and soot all over his face. His eyebrows and hair were singed in the tips and his wand was scorched.

          I saw Hermione waved her hand to get rid of the smoke that wafted into her direction.

          "Mail's here," Ron said as he looked up when we heard owls chirruping all over the hall.

          Packages and letters rained down in the hall as the owls delivered them to their owners.

          Harry and I watched as the owls flew all over the mess hall making tufts of feathers fall all over the room.

          "Can I borrow this?" Harry asked as he held up the newspaper that wrapped Ron's package.

          Ron nodded as he opened up the letter that his parents must have sent him.

          Parents.

          I thought about Snape and our talk.

          He knew about mum. He knew her.

          I know he knew her.

          I can see it in his eyes. The expression of longing. As if he's yearning for something.

          "Hey, Hailey," Harry nudged my elbow, breaking me from my train of thoughts. "Somebody broke into Gringotts. Listen."

          Ron, who was sitting on Harry's other side, and Hermione, who was sitting across us, leaned in to look at the newspaper.

          "'Believed to be the work of Dark wizards or witches unknown, Gringotts goblins, while acknowledging the breach, insists nothing was taken.'" Harry read as Ron, Hermione and I listened to him. "'The vault in question, number 713, had in fact been emptied that very same day'."

          "That's odd," I said after Harry was finished reading. "Isn't that the vault we went with Hagrid?" I asked Harry for confirmation.

          "Yeah," Harry said in reply.

          Harry, Ron, Hermione and I looked at each other with narrowed eyes as we tried to figure out who might have broken into the vault.

          Whoever it was, he or she wanted what was inside that vault. Badly.

          "Come on," I said, breaking the tension. "We'll be late for class."