March 12th

After my horrible explanation the night before, I got a call from Jim Hayes this morning. The director of the art show I went to yesterday. He said "Hailey, I understand you participated in our art show with your oddly bold painting, well we wanted to let you know that you have successfully made it to the next round, and we hope to see you at Spring Hills Gallery tomorrow at 7pm!"

"Yeah, yes of course I'll be there, this is awesome!" I said with pure shock.

Mr. Hayes and I hung up the phone. I raced downstairs to find my dad.

"He's not here, he's on call at the hospital," Kelli said in a calm voice. "Oh..." I said with sadness.

"What's up?" Kelli asked.
"Nothing, I'll just wait till he gets home, thanks Kel" I said.
"Hailey?"
"Yeah," I responded
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah Kel, I just need to tell dad that I have another art show tomorrow, and he's got to take me," I said with frustration in my voice.
"Hey, well I can take you, it will be fun!" Kelli said with so much excitement.
"Yeah.... I think I'll just wait for dad," I joked.
"Hailey, come on let me take you, we can bond like sisters do," Kelli said in a sickening sisterly voice. All this sappy sisterly love stuff was getting to me, where was Hannah when I needed her to remind me why I don't trust my siblings. I pretended to hear the phone ring just so I could run away from Kelli.

Later that night my dad finally came home. I was the first to greet him at the door.
"Hey dad, guess what!!!??" I said with so much excitement.
"What dude!?"
"Kyle come on, she's your daughter not a dude," my mom said with a concerned tone. We both said "yeah yeah".
"So dad the art show director Jim Hayes called and said my painting is going to be displayed tomorrow night at Spring Hills, isn't that awesome, can you take me, please please please!!????" I asked.
"Slow down kiddo, he called me too. What time is it at?" He asked.
"7pm!" I replied.

He checked his schedule on his phone.

"Sure let's do it!" He said.

"Do it," Khloe chuckled. "He said do it!"

"Sick," I said loudly.

"What's sick!?" My mom asked eagerly.

"Khloe is," I said trying to get my sister in trouble.

"Khloe what are you saying that's so sick?" My mom asked all concerned like.

"Nothing, but while we are on the subject, mom Hailey just asked me where babies come from and I said just ask mom she's standing right there!" She said staring at me with an evil smile.

"Oh sweetheart! I completely forgot to have this talk with you last week. Khloe I don't think you've heard it either, lets talk about the birds and the bees tonight, I'll get my drawings." My mom looked at Khloe and me with so much excitement in her eyes.

"The who and the what!?" Khloe said with a confused face.

"What are you guys talking about?" Hannah said as she was coming around the corner.

"Nothing!" I said with so much embarrassment written on my face.

"Hey what's all the shouting for?" Kelli said as she was coming from the kitchen.

"Ahh! We are not shouting, we were just leaving". I said getting ready to make a run for it.

"Hey Kel mom was just going to give Hailey and me some chat about the birds and the bees. Hailey has been doing really weird things at night and wanting to know how to make a baby," Khloe said. If I hadn't been humiliated enough, the perplexed look on my sisters' faces did it for me. Everybody's eyes went wide and their jaws dropped. I was thinking to myself I don't talk to Khloe about personal stuff, I hate talking to her, period!

"What the hell!??? I do not, she's lying!" I said in response to Khloe's completely absurd comment.

"Language Hailey Elizabeth!" my mom said.

"Aww, Hails it's not so bad, the embarrassment stops as soon as mom stops saying the word penis," Hannah said, practically making fun of me.

I died a little on the inside. As my face turned red, I started to have those feelings of embarrassment and shame. I almost shed a tear, until I remembered who I was. Snap out of it, I don't cry, I don't get embarrassed, and I certainly don't let my mom and sisters have the upper hand. As I sat on the couch (without a plan to get out of this one) with everyone looking at me, I put my hands over my face so no one could see me cry and be embarrassed. I was hunched over when Kelli leaned in and said "There's nothing to be embarrassed about Hails, we're just kidding..."

"I'm not embarrassed!" I ran upstairs with my hands over my face, trying to wipe my tears. When I reached my bedroom, I slammed the door shut and locked it.

Everyone was worried. I could hear them talking about me through the vents. They kept wanting to know what was wrong with me. Kelli said I was about to go through "the change," and that she would talk to me about "girl stuff" in private when she had the chance. Gross. I didn't want to hear it from her. None of my sisters cared to talk to me like a normal person, they were always judging, or complaining about something I did. I was terrified to go through "the change" with all of them around, they'd just make fun of me more.  I ended up going to bed angry, and feeling sad.