Chapter Ten | Plan of Attack

"A goal without a plan is just a wish."

~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery  

>>·<<

The bridge was cramped with all of the Autobots - only Ratchet and Ultra Magnus the ones Megatronus recognized immediately - and Decepticons, of which Megatronus only recognized Soundwave. 

The silent communications officer was the one Megatronus trusted the most, though the changed Orion Pax was a close second. It was by these two the gladiator stood, quietly listening as they all tried to come up with the best way to tell him how in the world he ended up across the universe on a dirt planet called Earth, comandeering a ship he had never heard of before.

"I believe it would be best if Megatronus heard both sides of the story," Optimus Prime spoke, briefly taking center stage. "To hear what each faction has to say about the origins of the war, and the perspective we have of one another."

"But, aren't eye-witness stories typically unfaithful to the original content?" Jack asked, not wanting to play devil's advocate but realizing - thanks to the cursed shard within his spark - that Megatronus was already doubting several members of both factions. He was sorting those he deemed trustworthy and untrustworthy, and the former list was incredibly small.

Shockwave gestured with his one proper servo. "Cybertronian memories are stored like files," he explained. "Unless physical corruption or outside forces distort them, they are perfect recollections of the events that have come to pass. Therefore, a cortical psychic patch would be the most logical choice for sharing memories, as they cannot be fraudulent and the speaker cannot warp the truth."

Megatronus' brow furrowed. "Cortical psychic patch?"

"Oh boy," Ratchet muttered.

"My own invention," Shockwave was ever patient to catch his lord up to the happenings of present day. "It allows a Cybertronian to access the memory data of another. It has been used as an alternative to . . . traditional methods of extracting information. Unlike mnemosurgery, the contents cannot be altered by the perpetrator or target."

The gladiator thought on the idea, adding it to his memory banks and deciding he could ask more questions about it later, if he so desired.

"The only problem, then, is deciding who to nominate," Starscream eyed all of the Autobots. "Given that none of us trust one another, it will be difficult to chose - "

"Why not let the grown Cybertronian, who can think for himself, pick?" June had no idea where her snap came from, the Predacon simply sick and tired of Starscream picking and wanting him to stop. "You are all acting as if he is not standing right there. Just because he has no memories does not mean he can't make a sensible choice."

Her outburst had everyone staring, the Autobots in particular trying to make sense of what they just heard. June, a victim of Megatron and Shockwave's twisted schemes, who had been used by the warlord to attack her own son, was defending him.

A long vent escaped her. She was going crazy.

"Sorry," she shook her helm, suddenly feeling the need to escape. Pressure built on her chest plates, and her frame began to heat up with embarrassment. "Sorry, I need some air."

"Mom?" Jack reached out for her, but she had quickly slipped out of the crowd and headed to the door. The mechling followed her, leaving two of the former humans in the bridge, and a long awkward silence to permeate.

"Well, she is right," Knock Out finally broke the quiet. "It's not like he's a sparkling."

"Astute observation," Megatronus growled at him, earning a nervous chuckle from the bright red grounder. His blue optics flickered across the entirety of the crew that was present, gazing toward Orion. "Truthfully, Soundwave is the only one I can say with full confidence I trust. I want to trust you, Orion Pax, but . . ."