Chapter Seventeen | Penultimate

As she traversed Cybertorn, June learned a variety of cultural practices and customs from those willing to befriend her. It was much like Earth, she realized, though Cybertron seemed a bit more cohesive; everyone knew at least the Common language of the time, if they were not also profiecient at the language adopted by their affiliation. Cultures varied according to either the colony planets from whence they immigrated or the ancient beliefs passed from generation to generation within the families; and yet every basic, foundational doctrine was pretty much the exact same.

Megatronus was more than willing to answer her questions if she had any, occasionally referencing her to research materials she would possibly find interesting. During those kinds of days the mech normally came home to the femme with her faceplates inches from the screen, absorbing all sorts of interesting information. Her desire to learn was rather surprising, as he assumed she would be content merely knowing only what she truly needed to know.

The pair only interacted with one another when he returned from Kaon to recharge, occasionally gone for several days at a time as he guided construction and set about creating a new world order with Optimus Prime and other duly appointed Council members. They planned to unite the two capitals - Iacon and Kaon - under one name, and create a large, intricate city where all Cybertronians did not have to fear persecution or shattered peace. June thought it was rather ambitious, and the gladiator agreed that it would take lots of time, but he was confident that everyone could agree that the war was over, and they no longer would fight.

"Decepticons," Megatronus stood in Kaon's city center, standing on a temporary stage as he addressed the crowd that had gathered to hear him sepak. "Autobots, neutrals, and everyone in between. I stand before you on the precipice of a new era, one that promises to bring about the greatness I had envisioned a millenia ago. No longer do we require violent anarchy to accomplish our goals - the False Prime was usurped long before this war ceased, and has been replaced with one pure of spark: Optimus Prime. Many of you know him as the great Autobot leader, and I am sure some even dared to call him a friend. We have made our peace, and with the help of this new Prime we will bring about the change that was meant to encompass Cybertron. The ideals of the functionalist tyrants and caste dictators will not be tolerated by either of us, and I implore you hold the same mindset."

June listened quitely in the crowd, standing amongst some of the taller mechs to blend in. Megatronus had mentioned that he was giving a speech in Kaon, on the same day that the Decepticon cause rose from the ashes of the Golden Age and tore the planet in two. Though it had not been verablized, June knew she was being invited to such an event - though he almost seemed embarrassed to tell her about it. She wondered if it was stage fright, despite the fact that the great Champion of Kaon hardly seemed the type to be intimidated by anything.

He spoke boldly and proudly, gesturing heavily with his clawed servos. It was frighteningly easy to see how he could have convinced half a population to turn against their friends and family: his vocabulary was impressive, and his thoughts well articulated. Even June was finding herself convinced to accept this new peace despite being a part of the instigation.

"No longer will we be divided by factions, build, or birth," Megatronus slammed his fist on his hand, the clap of noise thundering across the crowd. "We will be united under one name: Cybertron!"

The crowd roared their appreciation, raising their fists in mirror with that of the Decepticon leader. June smiled softly, giving a few quiet claps to demonstrate her own agreement. Something pinged in the back of her head, tanks halting as instinct told her there was a problem - a threat.

Then, Megatronus was very nearly assassinated.

Her audio receptors were much more sensitive than that of the average Cybertronian's, picking up on the soft hum of a cannon charging in her vicinity. Her HUD directed her toward a femme in the crowd, her expression screwed up in one of hate. She had not come with noble intentions. It was a split second, but June quickly took in the fact that the femme had a full charge, and her current perch left only one target: Megatronus' helm.