Chapter One

~Akiriya~

"Shut up," I said, my eyes narrowing at her. "You don't know what you're talking about."

"Yes I do and you know it," she smirked. We'd been having this conversation for an hour now, Clarice and I but it had really escalated since it started. "I can't believe that you think Tom Holland is better than Andrew Garfield."

"I'm not saying that he's better, I'm just saying that the internet doesn't lie and his mother deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for her genius genetics." Clarice rolled her eyes and we carried on eating lunch until the bell rang.

"I'll see you later." she said, smiling and walking away. I made my way down the hall and to the computer lab for class. I set down my bag and binder and went off right back out the door. I wasn't one of the kinds of kids that wanted to sit in the classroom as it ever so slowly filled with students because, let's be real, nobody actually cares. Maybe every once in a while I'd sit in there but even then it's not like I was sitting there watching my classmates walk in.

I stared down at the book on my phone taking a lap around the hall, getting lost in the world of shifters, love interests, and dashing superheroes. I love books probably more than anything. Not only does it speak to my nerd heart, but it fills a hole where a relationship should be. It's sad ...but it's true.

The warning bell sounded at the same time that I ran into a classroom door. I fell straight onto the floor and quickly glanced around at the people looking at me like I just almost died, which I guess with my luck was pretty possible. All these people just saw me fall straight onto the floor...oof, I thought to myself. I burst out laughing and just got up and kept walking. It happened to everyone. Just gotta keep it pressing I guess.

"Hey, are you alright?" I heard from behind me.

I turned around and looked at the guy standing there with his hand on the handle of the door that had knocked me on my butt. I eyed him, not really taking in any details distinct enough to commit to memory. Blonde hair, blue eyes. I shrugged, "Happens to everyone, what are you gonna do?". And with that, I took my leave.

I quickly walk-jogged to class and got there just as the door was about to close. Safe. I sat down and logged into the computer. We were working on Adobe Photoshop and if I played my cards right I could finish with enough time to read my book.

I plugged in my headphones and got to work fixing the photo of a ripped up little girl and making it whole.

*****

Halfway through class, the teacher called for the classroom's attention. I forced myself to pull my eyes from the book and looked to the front of the class. The teacher was pointing to a girl with bright burgundy hair who was smiling at everyone else.

She was a pretty enough girl, tall, slender with beautiful curls in her hair and her body was covered in delicious curves.

I pulled out a headphone to pay more attention to what the teacher was saying.

"--she'll be joining us for the rest of the year and so I hope that you can all give a round welcome to S-Ssss- I'm sorry, how do you say it?"

"Saffron," she said, and her voice was like velvet to my ears. I knew that with her fine attributes this girl would find herself sitting with the "cool" kids for the rest of her high school career. I looked up at her trying to get a look at her from my spot in the back of the room. I thought that she noticed my movement because one second it was like she wasn't really looking at anything particular until her eyes landed on me and I swear that her dark grey eyes turned to a deep red for a split second. Maybe it was a trick of the light because the second that her eyes were back to normal she was smiling and asking to take the empty chair next to me. I was in a class of only guys and, to be honest, it was easy to get used to them when they ignored you, but on the days when a gorgeous new girl wants to sit next to you, they start to pay attention.