Apart

"Why can't I see her?" Spencer questioned Eddie. The man sighed and looked at the young girl. "She's still under evaluation." Eddie answered. He felt bad that Spencer couldn't see her own sister, but there was nothing he could do. The brunette turned to go back to her room when a scream went through the hallway. She turned back as Eddie dashed through the door behind him into the direction of the scream.

Spencer looked into the small window in the door. It was Alex, screaming as Eddie held her with papers thrown around the room. An alarm went through the hallway as nurses pushed by the young girl into the room. Eddie continued to hold the screaming girl while nurses tried to give her the shot. "LEAVE ME ALONE!" Alex yelled, fighting off the cornering nurses. Spencer locked eyes with her sister. "SPENCER! HELP ME PLEASE! LET ME GO! SPENCER!" Alex screamed in pain.

The worried sister turned the knob but failed to open the door. She tugged at the handle until her mother appeared in the hallway. "Spencer what are you doing here?" Mary asked her daughter. The older woman walked up to the door and watched her other daughter kick and push the nurses away. "Come on honey go back to your room." Mary pleaded. Spencer gave her a surprising look but walked back to her room. The girls' mother took a last glance through the window at the pain in her daughter's face. She shook her head and walked back to her room.

    Spencer sat on her bed, worried about Alex. Her mother walked in and sat down next to her. "Why won't you let me see her?" The young girl asked. Mary sighed before telling her the news. "I need you to forget about her. We're being released." She answered. Spencer gave her a confused look before something clicked in her head.

    "We're leaving? Without her?" The young brunette asked. Mary looked down, not meeting her daughter's questioning gaze. Spencer stood from her bed and walked out of the room, leaving her mother. She walked through the hallway into the recreation room and sat at the piano. Playing made her feel calm. As she started to play, she could feel someone behind her.

    She stopped hitting the keys and turned around. A blue eyed boy stood above her. Spencer shot out of her seat, looking at the boy. "Sorry to scare you. I just wanted to hear you play." He told her. "It's okay." The young girl responded. She noticed he wasn't dressed like other patients. "You're not a patient are you?" She asked. "No. I'm visiting my mom." He answered. Spencer nodded. "Well um, I'm Spencer." The girl said, reaching her arm out. The boy shook her hand and said, "I'm Toby." The two smiled at each other and Spencer resumed playing as Toby sat next to her and listened.

     Mary walked into her room to pack. She knew leaving Alex would be the hardest thing she would ever do, but it was for her own good. She was sure her daughter would be given the best care possible. After she packed her bags, she went to her daughter's room to pack her bag. Of course Spencer wouldn't want to leave her sister behind, so Mary had to pack her bag for her. She sighed as she packed, taking short glances towards Alex's space in the room.

    As she was finished Spencer's last bag, her daughter walked through the door with a boy behind her. "What are you doing?" She asked, looking around at all the packed bags. "I was just packing your bags for you. I assumed since you were upset, you wouldn't do it yourself and we have to leave soon." Mary answered. Spencer we ran her fingers through her hair and asked her mother to leave.

    Mary understood that she needed some time and left the room, taking a questioning look at the boy with her. The young brunette sat on her bed, pushing bags on the floor to make room for Toby. "I'm sorry you had to see that." She told the boy. "It's okay. I'm used to fights. My mom and dad fought and divorced." He told her, taking a seat to her left. Spencer cautiously put her head on Toby's shoulder. Thankfully the boy didn't flinch or move away.

    He looked across the room to another bed on the other side. "Your mom sleeps in the same room as you?" Toby asked. The brunette raised her head from his shoulder and sighed. "That's my sister's bed." She answered. "Where is she?" The boy asked next. Spencer sighed again and looked down. "If you don't feel comfortable telling me, it's okay-" "She was taken for further care. She has...issues, I guess." The girl said sadly, putting her head back on the boys shoulder.

    Toby nodded and put his own head on top of hers. They sat in silence just enjoying each other's company.