Why dear cousin?

Spencer's POV

Toby and I pulled up to the Marin household. I didn't ask that he come in because that just didn't seem right. "Um...thanks." I said, opening my car door. He nodded awkwardly and pulled off after I closed the door. I was quite distant after my call from Alex yesterday. I just wanted Toby to take me home so I could hopefully ask my mom if I could have a phone. I walked up to the house and rang the doorbell. The door open and with a relieved face, Hanna let me in.

"How was it at Toby's?" She asked as we walked into the kitchen. I knew she was just trying to be a good friend, but I heard her resentment towards him in her voice. "It was fine. We talked." I answered. She nodded and dismissed that subject, moving on. "Did you call that number?" Hanna asked next. "Uh..yeah." I said, not looking her in the eye. "Who was it?" She questioned. I didn't want to tell her about Alex, not yet. "Just an old friend." I said briefly, not wanting to be grilled further.

I heard the front door open and close, then heels hit the hard wood coming towards us. "Hello girls." Ashley greeted, setting her purse on the island. My mother came after her. "Hi sweetie. Hi Hanna." She said to us, giving me a hug. I greeted them back and we all sat on the stools surrounding the island. "How was the mall?" Ashley asked. "It was fine." Hanna answered, not saying a word about my sudden departure with Toby during our mall trip. "That's good. Spencer, How did you like it?" She asked me. "It was fun." I simply said.

I looked at my mother seriously. "Mom? Do you think I could get a phone? Just to call you if I need to and I don't have Hanna with me?" I asked, hoping she would consider. She looked at me and smiled before grabbing a bag beside her stool and pulling out a box, sliding it to me. It was small box, resembling a rectangular prism, and had an apple printed on it with a bite taken out of it. I lifted the top off the box and stared inside. There was a phone! I picked on up and held it in my hand. "Thank you!" I yelled, getting up from my seat to hug my mom.

I looked at Hanna and grabbed her hand, yanking her with me upstairs. We went into her room and she closed the door. "What are you doing?" She asked, rubbing her wrist from when I yanked her. "I need that phone number." I said. Hanna looked at me uneasily before giving it to me again. This time I saved it as a contact. Sister.

     The girls came over for another sleepover that night. Ashley, Ted, and my mother went upstairs for bed while we were in the kitchen making popcorn for a movie. "Get the soda Spence!" Hanna told me. I went to the fridge and opened it, taking out the different sugary drinks. My phone buzzed but I ignored it, grabbing more drinks. When I turned back and set the drinks on the counter, I saw Alison with my phone in her hands. She looked up at me with a smirk before typing something. I ran toward her and ripped the phone from her hands.

     "What do you think you're doing?!" I screamed. The others were looking at us now. "Calm down Spence, I was just saying hi." Alison said slyly. I got closer to her face and glared into her soul, though I don't think she has one. "Don't touch my phone." I said sternly. I didn't need Alison snooping around and finding out I have communication with Alex so she could use it against me. "Why? Do you have Toby's number?" She asked. I had just got my phone that day so I couldn't have his number yet. "No. Just don't touch it." I answered with a threatening tone.

     I backed away from her and looked at the girls, who looked back in shock. I brushed off their looks and walked out off the kitchen. "Who's Sister?" I heard behind me. I slowly turned around to face Alison with a death glare. The girls looked at me questioningly. "I thought you said you only had a brother?" Alison added. I looked down for a moment. "Spence?" I heard Emily call me and I looked back up. "It's just an old friend, she was like a sister to me." I answered. "'Like' a sister?" Alison questioned.

     I was getting tired of her and went upstairs. The girls came up with me afterwards and we started to watch the movie. The atmosphere was awkward to say the least. I felt each girls' eyes on me throughout the film and saw Alison's smirk in the corner of my eye. How could she be so cruel?