Chapter 35

Chapter 35

          “Tamzin, you’ve barely touched your breakfast. Aren’t you hungry?” Ignazio asked me in his hotel room in Los Angeles. We were only staying for a very short time for the American Music Awards, so we had decided not to rent our usual condos.

          “Yes, because plane rides are so exhausting, huh?”

“So sassy,” he said, sipping his coffee, but his eyes shone at me from behind the mug.

“I’m just not hungry. Do you realize the AMAs are in less than twelve hours?”

“Yes, I do,” he said, setting down the cup and leaning forward on his arms. “Can you just imagine it, Tamzin!? The boys and I going up onto the stage and getting our award?”

“I never stop imagining it!” I pushed aside my plate and leaned toward him across the table. “Aren’t you nervous, though!?”

“I’m too excited to be nervous! Do you realize that nominations are cut off in September!? Our CD just barely made it!”

“It’s late November,” I said thoughtfully. “That means it’s been a year since you told me your dream. American recognition, huh?”

He nodded, his eyes dancing, and he rubbed the lengthening stubble on his chin as he gazed off into the distance. Then he refocused on me and held out his hand, and I took it and squeezed it hard, excitedly.

“Tonight it might come true.”

“But you aren’t nervous!?”

He laughed.

“Should I be?”

“I’m so nervous,” I admitted, taking my hand from him and clasping my hands to my chest.

“Really? Why?”

“I’ve been thinking about this for so long, trying to get you guys closer to your recognition for so long! All year, I worked on this, trying to help you get your dream, and tonight I find out if your efforts and mine were enough. What if they weren’t, Ignazio!?”

He was looking at me strangely, staring intently at me with an incredulous look on his face, and then he pushed back his chair and got up.

“Come see,” he said, sounding suddenly serious, reaching down to me, “If you’re not going to eat breakfast, come see.”

He took me with him to the couch and sat, and then sat me on his knees.

“You’ve been thinking about this all year?”

“Yes!”

“Are you cold? I could turn on the heater.”

It occurred to me that I was shaking, but I shook my head quickly.

          “Tamzin, I know you’ve mentioned before how our work might eventually win us recognition, but I always just thought you were noticing it because it’s part of your job-dealing with how the public perceives us. But you’ve been thinking and working specifically trying to get me my dream?”

          I nodded.

          “After we watched the Grammies together in February, I made it my mission to help you get an AMA.”

          “Why?”

          “Because you deserve to have your dream, Ignazio!”

          He stared at me bewilderedly, and I took his face in my hands, seeing him entirely focused on me.

          “You’re amazing, Ignazio,” I told him softly, “You deserve to have your dream, and it’s my pleasure to help you get there.”