Escape

Carlin's POV

"Hello, gorgeous!"

I opened my eyes to the Reaper, standing in front of me in all his glory. Taking in my surroundings, I realized I was no longer in the rotten jail cell. Instead, I was lying on the floor of a big white room. One of the walls was a glass window, so I could see into another room. I squinted, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes and saw Audrey seemingly unconscious, strapped to a chair in the other room. Immediately I jumped up.

"Leave her alone!" I screamed, whirling around to face the Reaper. He was wearing his big hooded cloak and carrying a small knife.

"That, I cannot do," he answered, crossing the room. "But, I can give you a marvelous show!"

He unlocked the door to the other room and I watched him through the glass. He smirked at me and turned to Audrey. My stomach dropped. I rushed over to the window.

"No! No!" I shrieked and pounded on the glass.

The Reaper pulled Audrey's head up by her hair. Her eyes were closed. He gently pulled her hair back and brought the knife to her neck.

"Don't touch her!" I sobbed. My heart thudded in my chest. "I'm going to kill you!"

"Oh no you won't, honey," The Reaper smiled.

With a final glance at me, he sliced the knife through her neck. The blood poured from the open wound, creating a river around her chair. I screamed and screamed, banging on the glass. I felt my legs give way and I sank to the floor.

"Audrey...Audrey...." I sobbed, burying my face in my hands.

"Carlin," a voice above me whispered. "Carlin."

I refused to look up and continued to cry.

"Carlin are you okay?"

What the hell? Of course I wasn't okay! I just watched the Reaper kill my best friend!

"Carlin!" The voice was louder and more aggressive now.

I looked up to see everything going blurry. The voice was still chanting my name.

"Carlin....Carlin...."

I awoke with a start. Sunlight flooded through the minuscule window into the jail. I blinked. I was still in the cell! Audrey was next to me, worry coursing through her face.

"Are you okay? You were screaming and crying," she whispered, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. I looked up at her, relief running through my body. Memories of the dream began overwhelming me, and I immediately threw my arms around her.

"Oh!" She squeaked in surprise, but in less than a second, she was hugging me back.

"I'm sorry," I whispered after a few moments, pulling away. "I just had an awful dream."

"It's okay," she said gently. "You were out for a while though."

"Is Rae back?" I asked hopefully.

She shook her head, dejectedly and I noticed her eyes watering up. "I...I don't know where she is."

A gloomy silence hung over us like a storm cloud. I picked at the fabric on my shirt which was torn in a few places.

"We can't just sit here and do nothing." I told her. "I'm going to try to melt the bars with my eyes."

Audrey grabbed my arm and gave me a pleading look.