Chapter 18: What Love Is...

*When we met first and loved, I did not build
Upon the event with marble. Could it mean
To last, a love set pendulous between
Sorrow and sorrow? Nay, I rather thrilled,
Distrusting every light that seemed to gild
The onward path, and feared to overlean
A finger even. And, though I have grown serene
And strong since then, I think that God has willed
A still renewable fear ... O love, O troth ...
Lest these enclaspëd hands should never hold,
This mutual kiss drop down between us both
As an unowned thing, once the lips being cold.

And Love, be false! if he, to keep one oath,
Must lose one joy, by his life's star foretold.

"Svetlana, you are gonna upset my darling."

The whole world stopped for me at that instant.

I remember seeing him along the road; he looked so lonely and distant.

I remember offering him a seat because he looked lost and out of place.

I remember holding myself back from engaging him in conversation because he seemed aloof and uncomfortable.

What I don't remember is how we came from being virtual strangers, to two people sharing a kiss.

The whole world stopped with a lurch before it restarted in super slomo.

His lips were warm and soft against mine. His eyes were deep pools that held so many secrets. His breath came out in a soft sigh against my cheek as he withdrew.

"Maria! What is the meaning of this?!" Crap! Why did they have to arrive at this instant?

"I'm sorry Lana, you see I am with her," I heard him speak to the girl in front of us. I couldn't move. It seemed as if all my limbs have suddenly turned to lead with his kiss and the fact that my grandma was able to witness it.

The girl left in a huff while I trembled as I waited for the axe to fall.

"I'm sorry if I startled you. Salamat hindi mo ako sinampal." I heard him speak as he started to stand. I snatched his hand.

"You owe me. Sit down." I whispered wide-eyed to him. A frown creased his brow before his eyes darted to my back where I'm sure all my relatives are now watching the two of us.

"Maria face me and explain yourself," my grandma has such a commanding voice. She has been the controlling force in our whole family for the past six decades.

I turned my head to meet her eyes,"Ama, this..."

"Hi, I'm Alistair. I'm glad to meet you," What? Anong ginagawa niya? Bakit siya nakikipagkamay kay lola? Jusko, ano ba 'tong napasok ko?  Gusto ko lang naman mag-relax ngayong umaga.

Grandma ignored his hand and turned to me, "Is he the reason you do not want to marry Brian Tiu?" My grandma's hawk-like stare zeroed on me.

"Grandma, please? Let's not talk about this here." I stood up from my seat.

"Marialuna Vega Lee you will not disgrace our family," she ground out. I could see my cousins start to rise from where they sat a few seats away. Ang gulo! Haist, ano ba naman 'to?

"I meant no disrespect. I am sorry," I could feel him squeeze my hand and I realized he was still holding it. I tried to pull away but he draped an arm around my shoulders. Nanlalaki ang matang napatitig ako sa kanya. Baliw ba 'to? Teka, hindi kami magkakilala!

"I hope you think about your actions young woman. I will not tolerate this. You have a month." She huffed and left the cafe. Nagsisunuran ang mga pinsan ko at naiwan kami nitong lalaking ni hindi ko man lang kakilala.