Chapter 47: Firestorm

I could hear the raised voices before I even opened the door. I stopped for a while and contemplated whether it's worth the trouble to stick my nose in on this.

"Girlfriend? Girlfriend! 'Yan lang ba inaatupag mo dito? Nakuha mo pang mambabae habang naka-confine!"

I suppressed a smile. Classic Susanna reaction.

"Ma! Wait, Red – Ah shit!"

"Minumura mo 'ko? Minumura mo na 'ko ngayon!"

"Hindi po... teka lang po! What the f*ck Red!"

"Aidan get down from there!"

"Red! RED! Babycake hintayin mo 'ko!"

"Aidan! Anak, bumaba ka sabi!"

I stepped away from the door and walked towards the tall, glass windows. Sure enough, I saw a flash of black leather on the sill followed by an almost inaudible thump on the roof. I opened the glass and slid out into the open air of the 5th floor windowsill. There's a drain pipe to the left which I used to climb and follow Red.

I saw her sitting on the roof with a pensive expression on her face. Her sling down by her side  and she's pulling off her bandages. I sat down beside her and helped her unwound herself from the cloth. She didn't flinch or start at my presence.

"When do I get back to the field?" She asked. Hindi siya tumitingin sa akin. Her voice is cold, typical Red. I know her very well and I know she's itching to get herself back into the thick of the action. Unfortunately, she won't be of much use in the field because of her condition.

"You're not going back to the field. Rin will go in your place." Her head whipped so fast that her hair hit my face. 'T*ngna naman talaga. I matched her glare with one of my own.

"You're going to stay with Icen and monitor the extraction and escape routes."

"Jaguar, I'm not the f*ckin' comptroller."

"You're useless in the field."

"I can still shoot as many as*holes with my left arm."

"My decision is final."

"Your decision sucks ass."

I saw her eyes widen in surprise. I know she didn't mean to say that even though she was thinking it. Damn, she looks exactly as her name.

"No matter, this is one sucky assignment you deserve." I smirked at her. She rolled her eyes at me. We sat in companionable silence on the roof. The wind carried wisps of her deep auburn locks. I realized suwerte si Aidan. Red is far from your normal girl and that idiot actually managed to get under her skin.

"Is she always like that?" She asked in a neutral tone.

"Unfortunately." I replied drily. "Masanay ka na."

"No way. Nobody talks sh*t to me."

"Wag kang magsalita ng tapos." I reminded her, "I'm beginning to think that you've really fallen for that idiot."

"Tch."

"How the mighty have fallen."

"Says the guy who went through hell and high water for some little Chinese heiress."

"Touché."I closed my eyes and breathed deeply. "'Though I can't stand Susanna either. She's one h*ll of a b*tch." Susanna and I have never met eye to eye. I was the one who threw her out during our father's wake and she never forgave me for the public humiliation. But I figured it's alright since I never forgave her for breaking my family apart.