A Team

Emelia awoke to the sound of shuffling, she slowly turned over to her other side, and saw Henry looking at her with the same worried expression she wore upon her own face. She looked over towards the door and saw a figure in their room, she looked to Henry and nodded. She grabbed the gun that was under her pillow, and slowly sat up, and aimed.

The figure turned around and saw a gun pointed at it, it was a woman and she shrieked, and Henry pulled the blinds back, revealing the maid. She screamed and ran away.

"S-sorry!?" Henry yelled, still confused, then Abe came running in the room with his ax.

"False alarm, the maid was in our room, we thought it was an intruder.." Emelia grumbled and looked at the now bright morning sky. Abe sighed and sat down on a chair.

Henry and Emelia got dressed, and the three of them began their walk to the abandoned barn Abe found. "I saw one vampire enter a couple'a days ago, but then a different vampire walked out the door. That's why I figured there's more then one.." Abe explained.

They walked in through the thickly wooded area until they came to an opening, they saw a burned house, a ruined woodshed, and a large, half burned barn. "This is it?" Emelia whispered to Abe, "Yes, we have to be quiet. I don't know if they're in there or not, I only saw them at night, so they might still be young." Abe said.

"Henry, can you tell if they're still new? If they are, then we could lure them out, and attack them from each side." Emelia proposed. "I should be able to tell, yes." Henry replied, "Good, we have a plan." said Abe.

They stalked to the nearest window of the barn, and Henry slowly peeked through it. "There's seven on them, six of which are relatively new, at least eighty or ninety years old, the other is almost two centuries I'd say." He said, and they backed up a ways. 

"Alright, I'll cause a distraction and you each attack from the North and South." Emelia ordered, the vampire and the hunter nodded, they went to the North, and the South. Emelia stood twenty feet from the large side door of the barn, and she lifted her pistol to the sky, and shot. A few seconds later a confused vampire stuck his head out, and saw a woman standing there, a gun aimed at his head, she fired and it went right through beneath his nose, killing him in an instant. 

Six more vampires attacked quickly. They began to writhe from the sun on their skin, but they dealt with it, the elder vampire charged faster, and took a swipe at Emelia, but it was blocked by Henry, and then Abe attacked from the other way. They were all dodging claws and teeth, all the while swinging a blade or an ax, or shooting pistols. 

Watching the three of them fight together was like nothing anyone would ever see. They worked so well together, and some had just met. They could dodge each others swings, claws, bullets, or blades. It was incredible. They made the perfect team.

The blade had been knocked from Emelia's hand, Abe tossed her his ax, she swung it and cut the vampires head clean off, then smashed it though another's back and shoved that vampire towards Abe, he took his ax back and killed the same vampire. Henry swung at the elder vampire and nearly hit Emelia, he stopped himself and kicked out the elder's legs, he fell to the ground and Henry ripped his useless heart from his chest and then severed his head clean off. 

The fighting went on a bit longer, until all that was left was a pile of dead vampires and three panting hunters. They all looked at each other and laughed, "That was fucking insane!" Emelia shouted, "Did you see how well we worked together?" She asked, Abe smiled and blabbered on with her, Henry frowned. 

"Henry, what's wrong?" asked Emelia, "I uh, nothing, just...just catching my breath. Been a while since I've done that." He lied, the two just nodded and set to dragging the bodies off to the side, Henry had dug a hole which they threw them all in, and then set them ablaze. After the fire died down, or the bodies were close to ash, they buried the bodies.

The sun was still high in the sky, Henry checked his pocket watch, it was an hour past noon. "Henry, I wanted to ask you, and Emelia, would you like to hunt together? All of us, as a team?" asked Abe, "I can't the Union still needs me, I have to be in New York in a couple days." Henry said with sorrow in his voice, Abe nodded and looked to Emelia, "Maybe, I've never worked in a team before, but seeing how well we did, it might be a good idea. If Henry can't always join us, we'll make a good team Abe." She replied.

Henry frowned again, he looked at the two, they got along so well. Henry shook his thoughts from his head, and looked at the woods, "I think working in a team is a a good idea, Abe. And when you're able, you'll hunt with us, right Henry?" asked Emelia, "Of course." He replied.

"We should, uh, be heading back, get a couple of celebratory drinks, check out, and then get out of here. You've only got me a couple more days until I go back to New York again." He said and began walking, Abe and Emelia followed.

On the walk back, Abe and Emelia got to know each other better, they didn't know each other as well as each of them knew Henry, but they knew each other well enough.

They reached the Tavern and got a few drinks, Henry approached the bar, and a busty bar maid began flirting with him. Henry tried to get out of the conversation, but at the same time he wasn't sure it was a good idea to be around Emelia.

Emelia saw Henry talking with a woman, and she frowned, but hid it from Abe. The woman kissed Henry on the cheek, and he hastily left, Emelia felt something inside.

Anger? Sadness? Jealousy? What was there to be jealous of? Henry can do what he wants, he's not hers, and she's not his. 

Henry got back to the table and wiped his cheek, and set down the three glasses and bottle of brandy. "I see you made a friend." Emelia said a little more coldly than anticipated, Henry picked up on this. "Just some bar maid looking to get paid." He said, rather annoyed. 

After they drank the bottle, they packed up and checked out of the Inn, then mounted their horses. They began making their way to a larger city, one with a train station so that Henry could get to New York.

Abe took note of the silence that came over them after the Tavern. He felt as if Emelia and Henry drifted away from each other a bit. He tried to make conversation, but it never lasted long. He didn't have a clue as to why they seemed to distant all of a sudden, he talked to Emelia a lot, some bar maid flirted with Henry, Emelia felt upset, Henry seemed to feel upset. 

He pieced it together. He realized it before they would, though he didn't say anything, he didn't want to make anything worse then it had to be. All Abe wanted was for the three of them to be a team, but he settled in his saddle for a long, awkward ride to the city. 

*To Be Continued*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: This turned out really well, the bonding the drifting, the jealousy. I like it! I hope you all enjoy as well! See you in the next one! ~Emilypeej

 I like it! I hope you all enjoy as well! See you in the next one! ~Emilypeej