chapter six

John's knife sat heavy in your pocket as you stumbled down the road, the black pavement collecting the sunlight and reflecting the heat back to you.

You were panting by now. This Montana heat was no joke, especially when the breeze was nonexistent. Your pants were covered with dried mud and leaves. Every time a vehicle rumbled by, you dove into the bushes in fear that it was a cult truck searching for you.

You had no idea what road you were on; everything looks the same in this God damn valley. You just hoped that your path would bring you to a liberated cult outpost or maybe even Fall's End.

Man, you would kill for an ice cold beer from the Spread Eagle right now.

For the seventh time that day, the distant sound of a truck engine met your ears. You instinctively dove into the grassy shade next to the road, hitting the dirt with a thud that sucked the air out of your lungs.

You laid still in the shrubs, hoping the car would pass without a clue. However, the truck screeched to a halt right next to you. You squeezed your eyes shut, praying that they just dropped a cigarette on their carpet and were frantically trying to put it out.

But to your dismay, you heard the car door open and slam shut. The only way you could defend yourself was John's pocket knife or the 1911 pistol with an almost empty mag tucked in your belt line. Punching the cultist was also an option, but not when he was firing a AR-CL at your face.

Your hand slowly lingered to the gun in your jeans. When you heard hesitant footsteps crunch the dead grass beneath their boots, you quickly spun onto your back and aimed your pistol at the threat.

"Rookie?!"

***

"Damn, Deputy," Mary May placed a hand on your shoulder, "You look like shit." You took another swig of your beer, rolling your eyes at the girl, "Gee, thanks." She snickered in reply, wiping the bar counter off with a damp rag.

You clutched your shirt between your fist, closing the torn fabric that revealed your bra and stomach. When Mary May found you laying down by the side of the road, it was hard to explain to her why your shirt was torn down the middle. It was even harder to explain the bite mark on your neck...

You quickly made up a story about how some crazy Angel tore your shirt and bit your neck while you were escaping John's bunker. (Now that you think about it, it is a pretty believable story.)

Pastor Jerome patted you on the back while handing you a new camouflage shirt from the general store across the street, "Good to see you alive, Deputy." You smiled and took the clothing gratefully.

"So," Mary May placed her flat palms on the bar, raising an eyebrow at the pastor, "Now that our savior has been saved, what's next?" You glanced at Jerome, your beer bottle never leaving your lips.

He tapped his fingers on the counter for a few moments, gazing to the ground in thought. "I got an idea," Pastor Jerome said hesitantly, "but you're not going to like it." Mary May exchanged glances with you and shrugged, "Hit me."

After sighing, the man crossed his arms, "John Seed is preaching a sermon about the Power of Yes at Sunrise Farm tomorrow afternoon." There was a certain bitterness in Jerome's tone that sent a shiver down your spine. Or, maybe that was the sound of his name.

"Okay," Mary May crinkled her brow, uncertainty laced in her tone, "What about it?" The pastor rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand, exhaling deeply, "That could be our chance to take him out."

"Like, kill him?" Mary May gawked, her jaw hanging open. You rolled your eyes at the girl, "No, take him out on a date. I'm thinking some nice Italian." She instantly narrowed her eyes at you, shoving you playfully from across the bar.

Jerome chuckled along, but as soon as the joke passed the tension settled in. "Well, who's gonna kill him?" You raised an eyebrow, slamming your empty beer on the counter harder than you intended to. Mary May and Pastor Jerome exchanged knowing glances.

"You."

uh ohhhh. you gotta kill baby boy. how will things go at sunrise farm? will john be assassinated? will you refuse to kill your arch nemesis? what are your predictions? lemme know in the comments!