Chapter Twenty-Two

"Damn," I say, looking through my bag for another day's worth of clothes. I've been staying at my mom's apartment for a few days. I sigh and walk into the kitchen. My mom is sitting by the table, drinking coffee and reading a book.

"Hi, honey," she says and looks up. I pour a mug of coffee and sit down next to her. We sit in silence for a few minutes before she frowns and puts down her book. "What's wrong?" she asks and I take a drink of coffee.

"Nothing, it's just that I don't have any more clean clothes," I say and look up at her.

"So, what are you going to do?"

"Wash them here?" I ask, with a hopeful smile. My mom laughs before composing herself.

"No, honey," she says and I nod.

"I should go back." I say and look up at her.

"Yes, you should." Mom says and I nod, standing up.

"Thank you," I say and she hugs me.

"Anytime, honey," she says and lets me go. I pack the rest of clothes and wave to my mom before I walk out her door and towards the Medical center. I shift my backpack as my heels click on the sidewalk.

I walk for a few more minutes before I push open the door to the Medical center. It's fairly busy today as I walk up to the staff lounge and drop my bag off. "Hey," Linc says and I look up.

"Hi," I say and he slides on his lab coat. "What did the Medical center say to stop all the people from coming in for vaccines?" I ask and Linc shrugs.

"I'm not sure, I think they're releasing the information to the public today." Linc says and I nod.

"That's going to be a mess." I say and Linc nods. "I'm going to go and check on Vanessa, Genevieve and Fiona," I say and he nods.

"I'm going to the clinic," he says and I nod. I start walking towards Fiona's room and I knock on the door before stepping in. Fiona is laying in the bed and she's alone.

"Hey," I say and she looks up smiling.

"Hi," she says and scoots over on the bed. I sit down next to her and she curls into my arm. She feels warm and her skin is an odd shade, it almost looks johandas.

"How're you feeling?" I ask and she shrugs.

"Okay, I guess," she says and my hand starts stroking her hair. "I wish my brother was here," she says and my heart melts. She's quiet for a moment before she looks at me, smiling. "Can I have some ice cream and some cake?" she asks and I smile.

"Sure, do you want me to pick it out or do you want to go down to the cafeteria?" I ask and she thinks abou it, her face happy.

"I want to go with you," she says and I smile.

"I'm going to go and get you a wheelchair, and then I be right back," I say and she nods. I find and empty one in the hallway and I grab it, wheeling it into her room. She smiles and sits up when she sees me.

I wheel it beside her and she slides her legs off the bed. She slowly stands up and I reach my arms out to help her when she collapses in then. "Fiona, are you okay?" I ask and look at her. Fiona's eyes are welling with tears and she moves out of my arms and back into the bed.

"Will you get the ice cream and cake? I don't feel like going to get it anymore," she says and I nod, my heart panging in my chest.

"Okay, what flavor do you want?" I ask and she shrugs, looking out the window.

"Whatever you think," she says, still staring out the window.

"Okay, I'll be back in a few minutes." I say and she nods. I walk out of her room and down the hallway, going towards the cafeteria. I didn't know that her condition was this bad. If I didn't know better, I'd say that her liver is starting to fail on top of her kidneys and she's deteriorating fast.