Chapter 8

Soda P.O.V. 

Someone needed to get that kid moving. We are talking about the all-star track runner sitting around not even lifting a finger. 

He must've got up at some point because he had fresh clothes on and his hair was slick with grease.

"Hey Pone  me, Steve, and Two-Bit are goin' to the movies. You wanna come?" I asked him.

He just shook his head not even looking up from his book.

"Awe come on Pone! It'll be fun!" I said pulling his face away from his book to look me in the eye.

"Not in the mood." He mumbled.

I held the back of my hand up to his forehead.

"You feelin' alright Pony?" I asked growing concerned.

To my surprise he swatted my hand away.

"I'm fine Soda! Stop getting in my business and mind your own!" He said with a tone I never thought I'd hear from my kid-brother.

I couldn't help but feel like a bus just ran me over. My heart sank to the bottom of my stomach and my eyes pricked with tears i didn't know I had.

After everything that has happened I didn't think I had any tears left to cry, but sure enough one after the other they fell from my eyes. 

"I'm sorry Soda, I shouldn't hav—"

It's alright honey, it's alright." I said giving him a hug.

Just then a loud and obnoxious horn sounded from outside.

"Looks like Two-Bit'n Steve are here," Pony said. I just rolled my eyes.

"Your sure your alright?" Soda asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he said. 

I was having a hard time believing that to be true but I nodded and smiled.

"Good, well since your fine than you'll be coming," Soda said with a mischievous smile on his face, his soft brown eyes shining. 

"Wait wha—"

Before he had a chance to make any objections I snatched the book from his hands and set it off to the side.

I got my arms around him and dragged him out the door.

"Soda! What the hell!"

I laughed, but didn't comply to the long speel of protests and cursing.

"Man if Darry heard you right now he'd wash your mouth out clean," I said.

"Well he ain't here now is he?" Pony asked, his voice practically dripping with attitude.

I don't know what's gotten into him lately. I just don't want him and Darry gettin' into another fight, and that attitude of his is gonna land him in a front row seat to trouble.

Two-Bit honked his horn two more times despite the fact that we were 10 feet away from the car.

"Chill it will 'ya? I'll be deaf by the time I'm 20 if you keep that up," I said.

I opened the back of Two-Bit's Ford and put Pony in the backseat. 

"Soda! I can buckle my seatbelt myself!" He said. There's that attitude again!

"Alright, alright I hear 'ya," I said as I slid in on the other side.

"Heya Soda!" Steve and Two-Bit both said from the front seat.

"I see 'ya brought little grease along with 'ya," Two-Bit said, eyeing Pony in the rear view mirror.

"Just a tagalong once again," Steve mumbled quietly.