Chapter 14

Kong's POV

I was walking a few feet behind P'Arthit as he was making his way back to his room. He was barely paying attention to where he was walking and I needed to intercept obstacles about to hit him more than once. I know I have been behaving like a jerk to him. I know I have been calling him a bully, and cruel, and basically forcing him to be paranoid around me since the time we first met. But right this instant, I couldn't help but feel his plight keenly.

I clearly remember the day I had first realized I was different. Granted it was very different for me since I was still just a child. And very confused about everything. All I wanted was to be normal. For everything to just go away. For me to just go back to being normal. But day after day nothing changed. My life got worse with every passing moment. That was until Jes found me. With him my life was bearable again.

So, as much as I disliked P'Arthit, I completely understood what he was going through right now. Being plunged head first into a world you never imagined existed cannot be easy for anyone. And I doubt P'Arthit realizes the gravity of his situation. Dealing with his visions is one thing, but once the word that a new seer has been identified spreads, there will be people coming out of the woodworks to get a piece of him. There are many people with some level of powers, some stronger than others, but only one oracle at a time. Controlling an oracle was probably the surest possible way to ensure limitless wealth and power.

Which is why I am actually quite surprised that Jes reinstated me to this mission. It was OK to trust P'Arthit's life to me while he was still just a college kid, but now that his powers have actually surfaced, word will spread fast. I am not sure I am up to the task of keeping him safe. And although for the past one week Krit and Lila haven't seen anyone else following him, I am very sure someone already has wind of P'Arthit's identity.

Which leaves me extremely conflicted with this situation. What am I supposed to do? Walk up to Jes and tell him he is being reckless by trusting P'Arthit's life to a complete rookie? Actually, yeah that is exactly what I should do. This mission is too important for a nobody like me. So why exactly am I in charge? But at the same time, I want it to be me. I want to make sure I can watch P'Arthit 24x7. Make sure other than me nobody else has their eyes on him.

I can't believe I am driving myself insane, and I wasn't even the one who had a life changing revelation today. The one who did was currently stumbling his way home completely unaware of the dangers he would face soon.

I wonder if Jes explained to P'Arthit everything that would happen now. I really didn't need to wonder that hard. It was Jes. He barely made sense on a good day when you knew exactly what he was talking about. I bet P'Arthit was utterly confused with a million questions bouncing around his head and knowing how paranoid he could get, his pretty little head was probably about to burst with over thinking. Wait, did I just call him pretty? That was weird.

What I don't understand is why was I kicked out of the room? I could have been immensely helpful to P'Arthit in translating Jes' cryptic speech. I also knew a great deal about being an oracle from Jes. In the 10 years since Jes had adopted me, he has always kept me by his side. He has told me story after story about his own visions, his experiences, about finding out about being an oracle. Even some of the visions he had about P'Arthit.

I could have been so helpful, but instead I was unceremoniously kicked out of the room. What was the dream they were talking about? Maybe it was P'Arthit's first vision. Aw man! Now I really wish they would have let me stay. Jes always said the first vision is supposed to be really special. I weirdly really wanted to know what he dreamt about. Maybe if eventually we managed to stop hating each other, one day he might share it with me.

We had almost reached our dorm buildings when I hurried next to him and caught his arm to get his attention. He turned towards me with a completely blank expression, as if he was seeing me for the first time. I felt my heart squeeze slightly at how utterly lost he looked.

"P'Arthit, I know all of this is too much to take in. I know it is probably overwhelming. But you can always come to me if you need help or have any questions. You are not alone in dealing with this....this situation. Jes can help you."

"Uh...uh....yeah. I mean thanks for offering but I really don't believe in any of this. I don't really know what is the deal with you and your Jes but I really just wish you would leave me alone."

I don't know why but his words stung more than they should have. Jes had basically even warned me to try and stay away from P'Arthit until he was ready himself to come to us. But yet forcing myself to maintain a distance suddenly felt harder than I cared to admit. I was just trying to help him then why was he outright rejecting me?

In either case, I let go of his arm and went back to my room. I once again settled into my well-oiled routine of observing every move he made in his room. Somehow I missed the carefree days he spent in his room unaware of me watching for the past few months. So many things will change now and I doubt either of us are prepared to face the inevitable.