[Chapter 10, Birth of an Empire.]

Her tails lay limply amidst the sheets of our bed as, I stepped into the room. Alyssa had pressed her face into my pillow as she screamed into it.

As I closed the door behind me, one ear turned at the sound.

With red, tear stained eyes she sat up. Holding the pillow against her chest Alyssa sat with her legs flopped to each side next to her.

It was what you expect a girl her age when trying that sexy-sad look. Each leg went sideways while her knees were still in front of her as she sobbed softly.

Clutching the pillow, her fingernails dug into the fabric as if it was me trying to leave her. Then again. The way she looked at it, a married woman who has to wait eight years for her 'wedding night', if you know what I mean.

As I walked to the edge of the bed I let my tail and ears hang in shame. I had made the biggest mistake I could with her.

My stupid head basically flat-out rejected her desires. Just because of an age issue which doesn't even formally apply in this world.

While I closed in on the bed Alyssa curled up her lip in an angry hiss, baring her fangs.

So that was the size of my stupidity. For ages it's been said that, to protect themselves, all beast folk have a second set of instincts. Those are more feral and only show under great emotional stress nowadays, remaining dormant otherwise.

But my own wife baring her fangs at me and hissing like an angry animal. I knew I had really messed this up.

The first time in our four years of marriage had I seen this side of her.

"I'm sorry Darling... please..." I was cut off by a hiss and let my head hang in reply.

There seemed to be no reasoning now with her.

So this was the extent of 'feral mode' as most labeled the state Alyssa had gone into.

And all because of my own damn age complex. Which she doesn't mind and is the only one who knows about it.

Defeated by my own stupidity I dropped down onto my butt and sat a short distance from our bed.

***

A soft tickle reached my nose.

Opening my eyes I saw Alyssa's red teary eyes as she lay next to me.

A single candle burned next to her as she lay curled up next to me.

Fear in her eye, she stirred as I opened mine.

"Do you think I'm ugly? Is that it?" She asked frightened while holding the tip of one of her tails.

Fidgeting with her fur, she looked at me with scared eyes.

"No... you're beautiful. I love you Darling I came here to apologize bu-..."

My own voice caught as her eyes grew with fear before she ripped a small patch of fur from her tail.

"Y-you s-saw me l-li-like that?" She asked scared, her ears suddenly flat on her head.

Shame filled her eyes and I carefully took her hands from her tail as she seemed about ready for round two of fur removal.

"I love you as you are Alyssa. Even if you have flaws you're still my wife. Hell even I, as a damn god have my flaws. So why would I judge you on a flaw that all Beast Folk have. We all can enter that state with the right triggers."

I held her frail body against me as I spoke.

She shook with fear at the realization what she had done.