Ch 41- Repairs

"We've lost seven of our own, but we can't allow a single, radical Seelie to define the entire Downworld, any more than we can allow Valentine to define all Shadowhunters." Alec's voice sounded across the room, addressing the institute once again as Head of the Institute. "So, to restore unity with our allies.....I've assigned Penelope NIghtshade as New York institute's down world ambassador. She hosting regular Cabinet meetings here with the Downworld leaders of New York." he spoke, the crowd broke out in whispers as they all looked to Penny who stood on the steps like Jace had done only a few days before. 

   "I'm all for unity. But does he have to bring them here? And making her ambassador?" a girl in the crowd scoffed "What do you expect? Dating the head of the institute has it's perks..." the guy next to her grumbled "Still can't believe Alec Lightwood is in charge." the girl crossed her arms "Just wait. In a week, it'll be someone else." they both chuckled "Hey." Izzy snapped "Show some respect." they went quiet. "Please, let's make the Downworlders feel welcome." Alec ended and the crowd dispersed.

   "Look at you. In charge for a week, you're already shaking things up. I think this Cabinet thing is a good idea." Jace smiled as Penny and Alec approached them "Yeah, I'm not sure everyone agrees." Alec sighed, Penny put her hand on his arm "All the more reason to do it." she smiled "How can I help?" Clary asked "Actually, I need you and Jace for a mission. You're going to the Seelie Court." Alec told them. "Where is that?" Clary asked "The nearest entrance is in Central Park, but it's in another realm. Where the Seelie Queen lives." Izzy explained. 

    "I requested an audience with her to discuss Kaelie's crimes, but she said she'll only meet with Valentine's experiments." Alec looked to Jace and Clary "Wow. Charming nickname." Jace said sarcastically "So, you think the Seelie Queen is responsible for Kaelie's attacks?" Clary asked "That's what I want you to find out." Alec told them "It would make sense. Those murders weren't exactly Kaelie's style." Jace crossed his arms.

     "How did you know Kaelie?" Clary asked, a smirk crossed Penny's lips as Jace looked like a deer in headlights. "Book Club." he blurted, Penny burst out laughing but clamped a hand over her mouth an turned away. "You read?" Clary questioned with a raised brow, giving Penny a suspicious look while Jace glared. "Yeah. Why does everyone find that so hard to believe? Look. Focus." Jace turned to Penny "Are you coming too?" he asked changing the subject. 

   Penny's laughter died down "No, I'll be here to host the meeting." she told them. "But aren't you one of Valentine's experiments too?" Clary asked "Yes but as of right now only a select few know. So I will be here hosting a cabinet meeting and keeping off the Seelie Queen's radar."

"We need to find out if she's complicit, an entire faction could be turning against us." Alec told them "That shouldn't be too hard, right? Seelies can't lie." Clary shrugged "Technically yes, but after hundreds of years of practice, they can expertly manipulate the truth, and the Queen is the master." Penny spoke "She's very dangerous. The entire realm is. More than one Shadowhunter hasn't made it back." Izzy said. Clarry took a shaky breath "What could go wrong? But we're, uh Valentine's experiments, right? Don't mess with us." Penny chuckled. "You'll be fine."

-

    Later that day Alec and Penny went down to the docks to talk to Luke "You're the only one who hasn't agreed to join the Cabinet." Alec said "Why should I?" Luke asked. Penny furrowed her brows "Well, you're the most respected pack leader in New York, and as a former Shadowhunter, you understand what's at stake for both sides." Alec said "Yeah, that's exactly why I can see this for what it is...an empty gesture."