21.

"so it was you all along?"

his hands dropped the diary.

      dread gathered in the pit of his stomach as a voice emerged from the doorway, a very familiar voice that he loved to hear before this very moment but he now dreaded. at the doorway stood jeon jungkook, lips curved up to a sneer, eyes moist like frustrated tears were about to fall from them. taehyung immediately moved towards him, attempting to say sorry, but the boy was backing off, avoiding his touch like it was some kind of plague. tears finally fell from the younger boy's eyes but he still tried to fight them, as he quickly wiped them away.

"jungkook, i swear, just let me explain—"

"did you enjoy?" was jungkook's question to him. he was taken aback as he stopped his attempt and remained on where he is. sure, he liked reading the entries jungkook made, but taehyung saw how it made most of those dearest to him suffer, especially the raven-haired boy, and he didn't like that. it was never his pleasure to see the boy go through all of this, and that's why he was here to silently return the diary in his lockers, which he ultimately failed in doing so.

"n-no! i never enjoyed, kook. i didn't—"

"yes, you did. stop denying. you did enjoy seeing me panic because of that fucking thing, didn't you? you liked the image of me being problematic because of it, didn't you? ah, here's the thing. you're probably laughing at me because you've finally discovered my secret, aren't you? you're finally happy and full of yourself because you now know that someone is pathetically attached to you and is making a fool of himself because he likes you so much." jungkook bitterly spat out, the sneer never leaving his lips as his tears wetted his cheeks. taehyung tried to reach out to him, wanting to remove those salty tears tainting his cheeks, wanting to stop the boy from crying, but he only swatted his hand away, furiously rubbing the tears himself.

"just listen to what i will say, please. i—"

"fuck your explanations," the dark-haired lad venomously sputtered out. "i don't want to associate myself with you anymore, kim taehyung. so just stop acting like you're still a part of my life from now on." he said as he took his diary taehyung dropped inside the room. the younger's word struck the older's heart like a blade, as he felt a sharp pang of pain inside his chest. it struck him hard, the reality that he's finally lost jungkook, and he doesn't know how to face it.

      the younger exited the room, looking at him for the last time, before finally walking away. taehyung felt his knees weaken, his tears already wetting his cheeks. he sat on the ground as he leaned against the wall, finally pouring out the emotions he's been caging inside. his heart constricted as he remembered every memory he shared with jungkook, and how everything ended just like this because he was such an idiot for taking his diary away. it was like he put everything they had in between into waste just by doing the most idiotic thing he could ever do. pain and guilt were eating him, and taehyung swears he never felt this vulnerable before. he felt so weak, really weak, and he doesn't know how to face jungkook anymore, not after this day.

      it was already around seven in the evening but he was still sitting on the same spot, staring at nothing in particular. with his tears already dried out and his mind going blank, he stared at the hallways lighted up by the fluorescent lights on the ceiling, collected his things and started walking back home. as he strolled along the busy streets of the city, his mind recalled the words he wouldn't forget he had seen in the last entry he was able to get a glimpse of.