Prologue

Ellen's POV

She had that look on her face again. I still hadn't figured out what it really meant, but I liked the lurking sense of mystery.

Another week, another day, another book in her hand, but that same look on her face. I would have really liked to know what she was thinking.

Why would she read something that would cause her to make that face? Why would anybody like putting themselves in such a misery? I always assumed her to be simple, but the reality was something else.

But then again, I did like solving puzzles.

"You should go talk to her," a familiar voice filled my ears.

"You think so?" I asked as I looked into his blue, eager eyes.

"Yeah," He nodded a few times. "I do. She looks cool. You should definitely go talk to her."

"Maybe another time." I shrugged. "Look, she's leaving. I shouldn't interrupt her on her way out. She looks pretty busy."

Shaking his head, Zach went back to the bar and left me staring at Macy.

I watched her pay the cashier and walk away from the doors of our diner. A black car waited for her outside. She got in through the back door and the car disappeared into the darkness of the night, leaving an empty feeling in my heart.

Zach didn't have the faintest idea about how much I wanted to talk to her, how much I wanted to hear her voice, how much I wanted to hold her hands.... how much I wanted her to be with me. I hadn't fully realized how much I really needed her, but the fear of rejection wouldn't ever let me.

But maybe another time, another day I would finally be able to be myself without any fear, without any shame.

And I hoped it won't be too late.

______________________________________

Author's Note

Thanks a lot to xxRomaeReginaxx for the beautiful cover❤

I'm new on Wattpad and this is my first shot at writing. All the chapters are first drafts, so please don't mind any mistakes.

Hope you guys enjoy my book!