A6 - The Pariah

Y/N sat down with Winston and tended to his injury, making a solid splint. But Minho just sat staring at her, trying his hardest to bring any sort of memory of the girl to the surface. All he wanted was to remember what she did. Remember their past. In a way, he feared what she remembered. For all he knew, he could have been a totally different person. The maze had hardened him and he knew it. Maybe she was disappointed in him now.

His train of thought broke when the girl sat down at his side. "Give me your arm."

"What?" He asked.

"Your arm. It's bleeding." She grabbed his arm and pulled it into her lap, pulling out a roll of gauze. Minho hadn't even realized the gash in his arm, being so lost in everything that was going on around him. Her warm touch only remind him of the Glade and how much he missed it.

"Thanks." He said lightly.

Y/N was among the first of the Gladers to attempt sleep. Though she was never one to sleep back in the Glade, Minho figured constantly being on the run had finally caught up with her. Once the adrenaline in a persons veins settled, fatigue set in.

Y/N awoke part way though the night to the sound of heavy, panicky breaths. Before she turned to find their source, a light weight was draped over her waist which made her freeze, stomach dropping. Craning her neck around, she saw Minho laying there with her, his face woven with terror. If finding her friend laying with her wasn't concerning enough, the look on his face was. The boy flinched a few times, a tear running down his face.

"Minho!" Y/N whispered forcefully, shaking the runners shoulder. A fist careened to the girls face as Minho's eyes shot open. Y/N blocked the hand from crashing into her face and held it down, trying desperately to ground Minho.

"Minho, it's me!" She whispered, still trying to keep her voice low. For a moment, Minho's eyes still darted around in alarm before settling on hers.

A deep breath escaped his lungs as he collapsed to the ground in defeat, shaking his head, running a hand through his messy quiff of hair. "S-Sorry..." He muttered.

"It's ok." Y/N smiled weakly, putting a hand on his shoulder. He flinched. "Nightmare?"

"Yeah." He scoffed gruffly whilst trying to wipe away the tears before Y/N could see them.

"Wanna talk about it?"

"No," He shook his head. Minho's sudden refusal to discuss what he dreamt about told Y/N whatever it was wasn't pleasant. "I just want to go home."

Y/N never expected those words to come from Minho. He sounded weak and vulnerable, the two very things he strived everyday not to be.

"The Glade wasn't home Minho. It was a prison. A test."

"If it isn't there, then where is it?" He furrowed his brows in question and began to tremble. Minho was the most stolid person Y/N knew, and to see him like this was unbelievable.

"In each other; all of the Gladers." She pointed to her friends in the dim light, causing Minho to glance over them. "They need you, Minho. They'd follow you anywhere."

"They'd follow you too." He said back. In that moment, Y/N saw the same self-doubt in him she saw in herself.

"It's different with me, though." She stifled a laugh. "You're their leader. Says so on the back of your neck."

Minho's heart stopped, his mind suddenly switching back on. He grabbed Y/N's shoulder and turned her toward him. Pulling the back of her shirt down slightly, he saw the same mark on her neck as the rest of the boys had beneath the barcode looking mark she'd shown him before.

"A6. The Pariah."

"I have one?!" Y/N gaped, looking to Minho with wide eyes.

"Yeah, Pariah." Minho filtered through his mind for a moment before recognizing the word. It meant an outcast, which, really did make sense seeing as how she was one of two girls in the midst of so many boys.

It took a moment for Y/N also, but she brushed it off and moved back to where she was before she grew any more uncomfortable.

"Are you ok now?" Y/N asked, shying her eyes away. Minho hated it when she was like that, afraid to even look at him.

"Yeah." He nodded.

Y/N then took her backpack and curled up on the cold ground, trying to fall asleep again. Her body still shook from the cold, and Minho couldn't leave her like that. Just as he did before, the runner made his way around and laid down behind Y/N. He wrapped an arm around her side and held her frame close.

"Minho, you stink." She grumbled, but from beneath it came a laugh.

"I'm cold too. Just live with it." He mumbled into her hair, refusing to let go.