Back In The Maze

For Y/N, the next couple of weeks were a blur. In the WICKED facility, they questioned her, ran constant tests, and made her watch her friends run the maze from behind a screen. Not only that, but they made her train in combat every day. Why? She had no clue. One day, while Y/N watched Minho and Thomas discover a new section of the maze, the woman who had welcomed her into the facility cracked open the door.

    "Y/N, Dr. Paige has arranged a surgery for you. Please, come with me."

    "A surgery?" Y/N gripped the chair she sat in tightly, looking back to the screen to see her friends running for their lives as the maze practically tried to crush them. She let out a sharp breath when she saw Thomas finally sprint through the last set of blades and crash into Minho.

    "A memory retrieval." The woman confirmed.

    Before Y/N could protest, two guards appeared behind the woman with their guns raised. Y/N knew she had no choice but to agree. With that, she stood up and walked towards the door. However, not before looking back to the screen once more to see her fellow runners had made it back to the Glade safe. Y/N followed the woman to a dimly lit room, and within seconds she had a needle plunged into her neck and everything was dark.

    When she woke, she was in the maze. In the distance, she could hear the shouts of Thomas, encouraging everyone to keep moving forwards. Footsteps of at least thirty Gladers echoed though the maze.

    Y/N tried to call out, tried to scream Minho's, Thomas', Newt's, Frypan's, anyones name. Each time she tried, nothing but a quiet croak left her throat. Instead, she tried to stand, but that felt impossible too. It was like she was stuck in the position she lay, completely paralyzed. In her hand, a large syringe, just like the ones the grievers had on them. The girl began to panic when the voices of her friends began to become fainter and fainter as they ran further away.

    Then, her body started moving. But, it wasn't her doing it. Someone, or something, else was controlling her. She had a feeling that surgery wasn't just a memory retrieval. After all, the only memories she had back were some early on from the WICKED facility. Nothing else. Nothing of real importance. 

    Within seconds, Y/N's body was being forced to sprint down the corridors of the maze and towards the sounds of her friends. Once they were in eyesight, she tried to run faster and scream their names, but nothing happened. Her body came to a halt behind one of the large stones and peered around the corner.

Approaching from the other direction was Gally. He was trailing just behind the rest of the Gladers. That was when Y/N went charging forwards with the syringe raised high.

    "Y/N?!" Gally stopped dead in his tracks and stared at the girl racing towards him with wide eyes. "Y/N STOP!" He cried.

    But it was too late. The syringe went straight into Gally's abdomen and he collapsed to the stone floor, coughing in agony. Y/N still couldn't move or say anything, but tears began streaming down her face as she looked to her friend. His veins blackened and eyes clouded over, breaths becoming uneven and crackling.

    A couple of minutes passed before Gally no longer looked like himself. He stood up unsteadily and began stumbling in the direction the Gladers had escaped. Y/N fought everything inside of her, trying to muster all of her strength to just scream one word to stop Gally from chasing after the Gladers. Her entire body ached, and her heart felt like it was being torn in all different directions. Her friends were just around that corner. They were within an earshot and she couldn't do anything to catch their attention. Minho probably thought she was dead and Alby had likely already scratched her name off of the wall.

    Yet again, her vision went dark, body became limp, and she fell unconscious.

____

    The circular door closed around the Gladers, and while Thomas began to lead everyone though the dark, Minho stayed back, pounding at the closed door.

    "NO!" He screamed.

    "What the bloody hell, Minho?! We're out!" Newt grabbed his friends shoulder and pulled him away from the door.

    "I SWEAR I HEARD SOMEONE SAY HER NAME!" He nearly crumbled under his own weight, his breaths quick and sharp, heart feeling like it might explode. "I swear..."

    "Minho, let's go." Newt tried to comfort the runner as he dragged him away from the door and back to the group. The second-in-command had heard it too. He'd heard someone call out Y/N's name.