Just Be Careful

The rest of the day was spent very carefully traversing the city, following Jorge as he searched for a building which supposedly had large red banners hanging on the outside. It didn't take long to find, and neither did Thomas and Brenda, who were inside, stumbling around in a drunken mess.

Next thing they knew, they snagged a truck off of Marcus, the man who ran the place, and were on the road. Everyone was crammed inside, Minho and Y/N squished up against one another in the back seat.

He'd never admit it, but he enjoyed that crammed ride through the desert towards the middle of nowhere.

Everyone else was asleep aside from Jorge, Minho, and Y/N. The girl had been shifting back and forth uncomfortably for the past while, something that couldn't go unnoticed by Minho since he was right there beside her.

"If you're gonna upchuck, shebean, do it on Thomas. Not me."

"It's not that," Y/N pressed her palms to the side of her head. "I don't—something's not right."

"I thought the lighting fried the thing in your head?" He furrowed his brows, reaching around to push Y/N's hair away from her neck. The markings were still there, but it definitely didn't look like Teresa's. It was dark, broken apart in some places, and certainly didn't look functional. Yet, Y/N's body twitched and convulsed at random times, reaching out, saying, or doing things she didn't intend to.

The first thing that came to Minho's mind was the flare. Brenda had it. Who was to say she didn't either?

"You haven't gotten bitten or scratched, right?" He began to panic, scanning the girl for any obvious blood stains or tears in clothing. There was nothing he could see, but there was the bullet wound. What if the flare got in that way?

"No," Y/N shook her head violently. "It's up here, inside." She pointed to her head and winced, biting her lip so hard it drew blood.

The flare was in the mind, though, he thought. It could WICKED doing something, but it could also be the flare. It was a fifty-fifty chance, and considering all they'd been through, it was more than likely it was the flare. Worst of all, there was no cure. But they were supposed to all be immune, right? If they had been put in the maze, they had to be immune?

Minho felt his heart pounding against his ribcage, his lungs stinging with each breath. "It's ok, shebean. We'll figure it out once we stop."

He wished his words were full of more confidence, but they weren't. They were full of doubt and worry.

With time, and near death experience via ambush, the Gladers finally made it to the right arm. It was a small instillation, tents set up here and there, cases of weaponry laid all around, fires blazing nearly every ten feet.

"They've been planning this for over a year now," Harriet, the girl who'd taken the group in at the site of the ambush, spoke up. "This is all for us."

"You guys are lucky you found us when you did," Sonya, a girl who resembled Newt in an uncanny kind of way joined in. "We're moving out at first light."

As Minho looked around, he didn't feel too comforted by his surroundings. "I thought the Right Arm was supposed to be an army?" He asked, holding Y/N close to his side who now struggled to even walk on her own.

"Yeah, we were." A tall, ragged looking man hollered out from the groups left, emerging from a small tent. "This is all that's left of us."

He scanned the group of newcomers over with suspicion. "Lot of good people died getting us this far."

A moment of silence passed. "Who are they?" He finally asked.

"They're immunes," Harriet explained. "Caught em' coming up the mountain."