{Burrcules} Solicitude (35)

▲▽Aaron Burr's P.O.V.▼△
★Modern AU★
★・・・・・・★ ・・・・・・★

"Happy birthday to you," James finished singing quietly, placing a small cupcake in front of me with a candle that was lit. "Make a wish, Aaron." I closed my eyes and made a wish, blowing out the candle. "Happy birthday, Aaron."

I looked at James Madison with a small smile, thanking him for the birthday surprise, even if it was only a cupcake he bought from the store because he isn't good at baking. "I also have extra cupcakes, if you want them," James told me, sitting down across from me in the library.

"Thank you, James, but I probably won't eat them," I told him, taking the candle and placing it on the tissue I was given. I split the cupcake in half and put one on a tissue, sliding the other piece to James. "But its very kind of you to get me this."

"Are you not celebrating this year?" James asked softly, his eyes finding mine with worry.

I looked at the cupcake I haven't even started eating. "I can't."

I heard a shuffle come from across the table, but I didn't look up. "Well at least open this present Thomas and I picked out for you," James placed a small box in front of me. I picked up the box and inspected it before opening it. I smiled and took out the bracelet that had 'Stay Strong' written on it.

"Thank you," I murmur, putting the bracelet on my wrist. "I love it."

"Thomas knew it was perfect," James explained, his smile faltering.

"Aaron! Let's go!" I heard someone call. I looked over to see Charles Lee with his buddy James Reynolds, their arms crossed.

"I have to go," I told James in a rush, grabbing my bag from the floor and swinging it over my shoulder. I looked at James with a smile as he looked ya me worryingly. "Don't worry, I promise it'll happen tonight." With that, I ran off to my boyfriend, leaving the cupcake I was given untouched.

"Hey, baby," Charles put his arm around me, leading me to his home. "Did you have a good day today?"

I slowly nodded, keeping my mouth shut and a smile on my face. Talk Less, Smile More.

"Come on, we have bills to pay," Charles told me, pushing me towards where I worked every day. "Go work, I'll be back to pick you up at 10."

I nodded and walked inside the coffee shop. The first person I noticed was Thomas, his eyes finding mine as he just observed the whole situation. I walked past him and went to the back, shedding off the long sleeved, turtle neck shirt and placing on the long sleeve shirt I have to use for work. I noticed a bruise was very visible on my neck in the shape of a hand, but only one. It happened just yesterday, so it'll be hard to cover.

"Here," I heard someone say and someone handed me foundation. When I looked, it was Lafayette, one of Alexander Hamilton's friends. "I know the feeling, mon ami."

I looked at the foundation that was in my hands now. "I'm leaving him, tonight."

Lafayette's eyes seemed to brighten. "Good luck, mon ami. It took me a long time to do that."

"Could you help me with this?" I asked the Frenchman, holding up the foundation. With a quick nod, he got to work.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★