Part 19

Leah POV-

When I hear the front door shut, I wait a few minutes then grab my hoodie and put it on. I storm down the stairs with my hands in fists, finally letting my anger consume me.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," I mumble as I open the front door and walk through, before slamming it.

   I go to the garage and grab the ladder. I drag it through the yard and slam it against the house. "After all this time, and now he want to see me? What the fuck!"

   I climb the ladder quickly and sit down harshly, causing some shingles to break. I lay down and stare at the stars.

   My dad can see the same stars even though he is thousands of miles away. What if he looks at them and thinks of me? Probably not.

   I close my eyes and focus on the feeling of the cool breeze, the smell of the outdoors, and the chirping of crickets in the night. I'm put out of my daze when I hear hushed voices.

   I sit up and look over to Shawn's house. Shit. I never talked to him about skipping school or breaking up with Lauren.

   The porch lights illuminate the faces beneath it and I see Shawn. And Lauren. I attempt to ease drop on their conversation, but they're talking quietly.

   Lauren avoids eye contact with him and is staring at her feet. Shawn is talking and has an irritated expression on his face. I watch as he moves closer to her and when he puts his hand under her chin and lifts it up, I realize he was mad she wasn't looking at him.

   When I see Lauren's face, I sigh because she looks so sad. Shawn hurt her. She probably loves him and feels like he gave up on her. He kind of did in a way, but maybe he just doesn't have feelings for her.

   Maybe at first he did like her, but slowly lost his feelings toward her. I start thinking about Ian and realize that's probably how he felt, but he handled it differently.

   Now that I know Shawn better, I realize he would rather be stuck in a relationship than to hurt Lauren's feelings. Then there's Ian, who couldn't express his feelings either, and decided to cheat on Sierra and me because he didn't know how to confront us.

   I feel bad for Lauren. Before I dated Ian, I probably would have thought being cheated on was worse than ending a relationship because someone didn't feel anything towards the other, but I'm not so sure anymore.

   With Ian, it was obvious he didn't like me. There were many signs that I was just too stupid to pay attention to. When someone cheats, it sucks, and you feel like you weren't good enough, but it must break your heart finding out someone was pretending to like you when they actually didn't, like in Lauren's situation.

   I turn away from them and lay back down. My life had become so much better, then I was tricked into thinking Ian actually liked me, and now the father I haven't seen for so long wants to see me. What the fuck.

   I climb down the ladder because I just want to go to sleep and stop thinking about everything. I look over and see that Shawn has a small smile on his face now and they embrace each other into a hug. I smile a little, happy that they either decided to get back together, or ended things on good terms. I take the ladder to the garage, trying to be quiet so it doesn't seem like I was watching them.

   I go back inside and go to the kitchen and start to stress eat from thinking about my dad. Just as I'm about to go upstairs to get in the shower, the doorbell rings.

   I probably look like shit, but I go to the door anyway and open it. I am met with the hazel eyes of Shawn that show how miserable he is feeling.