Chapter 9

Now that the pesky rodent had taken his last breath, Alex would need to dispose of the body.

Clean up wouldn't be too hard of a task since the tarp he laid out caught most of the blood. Although there were some stains on the wall, a coat of paint would help with that. But getting rid of the body could prove to be a difficult situation.

First, he had to get the body out of the house. Checking the time on his watch read '5:12 p.m.' He still had a bit of time before dark and it was time for dinner.

Her favorite dinner was fettuccine alfredo with chicken. He quickly started it and since his love was in his room, he ran to the laundry room to change out of his bloody clothes. As he was pulling on a fresh shirt, he heard her call for him urgently.

After taking her to the bathroom he returned to the kitchen and finished up their dinner. He placed two plates of food on a tray and walked down the hall to his love.

Maya was sitting on his bed, staring at the wall. Her eyes were still bloodshot but her cheeks weren't as red anymore. She had a blank look in her eyes like her mind was far away. It was one of the reasons Alex loved her. No matter the situation, she could always escape to her inner thoughts.

Alex slowly approached the bed and set the tray in front of her, only then did she notice his presence. She looked up at him with a jolt, fear evident in her eyes and the way she spoke, "I-I'm sorry."

Alex looked at her confused, "For what? You have nothing to apologize for."

Maya just shrugged and averted her eyes. Alex sighed, "I brought you dinner, your favorite!" He held the plate up to her while taking his. She hesitantly took it and watched him sit on the bed at her feet. Being polite, she moved her legs so she was sitting cross-legged. Alex took the opportunity to also place his own legs up on the bed.

"So I figured that you could ask me some questions now, I know that you probably have a few," Alex said with a slight chuckle.

~

Maya didn't know what to say. She didn't have a few questions, she had a ton of questions! But which to ask first? She decided with what she had been wondering the most, "How do you know so much about me? Like how did you know that this was my favorite?"

Alex's smile dropped, he looked down ashamed, "I just... watch you."

Maya didn't reply for a long time, just stared at her plate.  After a few minutes, she finally asked, "H-how long?" She expected him to say something around the 10th grade when she began to get curves and boys started to take interest in her.

"Since like... 6th grade," Alex said quietly. Maya's reply was only a squeak of surprise, that long?

Neither of them had really touched their food. Alex was still looking down and didn't notice the tears running down Maya's cheeks.

He eventually looked up and motioned to her food, "You should eat before your food gets cold." Numbly, she nodded and began to eat her food, Alex digging in as well. Halfway through their meal, Maya grew the courage to ask another question.

Knowing that Alex got a lot of his information about her from 'watching' her, answered a lot of her questions. Like, why he was there that night and how he knew which room they were in. However, knowing that he watched her raised several other questions. 

"D-did you follow me?" Alex just nodded, casting his eyes down. 

He looked up and surprised her by apologized, "I'm sorry, I just wanted to make sure you were safe."

Maya grew frustrated at this,"Then why didn't you just talk to me? If you know me so well then you know I'd be friends with you."

Alex looked straight into her eyes, like if he looked away then she would disappear, "I considered talking to you a lot after I first saw you but I just couldn't bring myself to do it, to ruin what makes you special."

"What do you mean? Why me? What makes me so special?"

"You just can't see how special you really are. You were a beacon of light in this Godforsaken world. It's like in order to avoid being alone you create your own world to escape to. You live in this world, I could never approach you. I decided it was best to just watch, to not interfere."

Maya was speechless, she knew she spaced out a lot but for him to come to all these conclusions was crazy. Usually, people would scold her for zoning out, not think it was anything special. 

As they were finishing their dinner, Maya decided to ask one more question, one she knew she wouldn't get an answer to, "Where are we?"  

Alex swallowed before answering, "Well I can't really tell you the exact location, but we're at my house. Let's just say that I don't live within walking distance from school, even though I do." Maya nodded and took the last bite.

A/N: Please drop a vote or comment if you like the story!