~3~

I stare silently at the table as the food appears, not touching a morsel. I take a few drinks of my drink, but that's all I can stomach. I sit silently as everyone finishes their food, everyone ignoring me.

Once they start finishing, they all get up and head towards the Slytherin common room.

I follow them, staying behind as they all whisper to each other. I sigh as I trudge behind them, knowing they won't want me up near them.

As we all get towards the Slytherin door, I hear mumbling as they say the password, but I can't make it out. They all quickly press inside and as I approach the door, it's slammed in my face.

I stand there, shocked for a moment when the door is closed. My eyes gloss over at first, but burning hot anger boils in my stomach like lava, and then I erupt.

"Open the fucking door!" I yell, slamming my fist onto the entrance, "Stop being douchebags and let me in!"

I hear laughing inside the room and I grit my teeth, turning and marching away from the door. I get into the main hallway and sigh as I sink to the ground, my back pressed painfully to the wall.

I look down at my gloved hands, at the dark hallway around me, and I feel tears start to stream down my face. I try and wipe them away but these damned gloves are making it impossible as they just smudge them everywhere.

I rip them off, throwing them down beside me as I place my head into my cut up hands.

I hear footsteps approaching but don't look up until I hear a familiar voice.

"Cassie? Is that you?" Harry says, making his way over to me.

I look up, tears still streaming down my face as my hands are shaking, resting on my knees.

"I came to find you. What are you still doing out here, is everyone already inside?" he says, walking closer.

"Y-yeah, they locked me out," I say, trying to wipe my face when Harry sees my hands.

"Cassie, what happened to your hands?!" he exclaims, bending down beside me.

I pull them away as he reaches out to grab them, tucking them close to my chest, "N-nothing. They're fine."

"Is this why you've been wearing those gloves?" he asks, reaching out for them again, this time, me not pulling away.

He grabs them softly and pulls them towards him, seeing my palms in full view.

When I see them, I fall apart, crying loudly.

They've turned a horrid yellow, infected and full of puss. I can't even count how many there are as Harry stares down at them in shock, "What- who?"

"It's nothing. I'm fine," I say between sobs.

He looks up at me, "You're not fine Cassie, I've only seen you cry once before. Once. And you've been through some tough stuff."

Year 4

I stand silently as Dumbledore speaks, his eyes full of pity.

"I know you're in foster care Cassiopeia, so I need to know, what are all these bruises from?"

I stare out the window, watching the snow fall onto the castle in soft white flakes. Christmas had come and gone and I remember what I woke up to that morning.

Being thrown down the staircase.

I blink softly, pushing the memory of waking up on the bottom step, head split open, 2 broken toes, and a fractured wrist.