Chapter 4

I can hear the doorbell ringing continuously on a loop, groaning and crawling out of bed i drag my feet to the stairs.

Completely groggy from a bad nights sleep, it feels like i can't remember the last weeks of my life.

As i open the door looking like a zombie i see Sofie standing with a big smile on her face, it drops down into a frown as soon as she sees me.

"Why do you look like you just woke up?" she asks, slight hesitation in her voice.

"Because i just did, why? what time is it?" i ask looking around for a clock, even though i don't have one.

"It's like two a'clock, you are lucky you live alone, i would not be able to sleep in for this long. And on a Sunday!" she exclaims walking in the house.

What she said makes me think i am forgetting something, i turn around and look at the carpet in the hallway.

It is crumpled and looks misplaced, then my eyes widen as i remember dragging an almost lifeless body through my house.

My eyes move to look at Sofie but i see her walking up the stairs.

"shit, wait!" i yell, trying to catch up.

I run up the stairs, catching up with her and grabbing her arms, spinning her around.

"I just remembered you can't be here." i say quickly trying to get her out of the house.

"What why? Do you have to go to work or something?" she asks, looking confused.

Thinking that was the best excuse i had i went with it.

"Yes. Exactly, I'm late so i have to get moving" I say, dragging her back downstairs.

"Alexandra?" i hear a muffled voice at the back of the hallway.

Shit.

"Can you let me out now, i have been in here for hours" James says, he sounds dull, without emotion in his voice.

"Who the fuck!" Sofie spins around walking towards the guest room.

"no, no, no, no!" i grab her arm but she jerks it back, trying to open the door to find it locked.

She turns around looking at me with wide eyes.

"You locked a guy in your house?" she whispers, trying to calm herself down.

"Well not technically, but yes. It is a really long story, if you come back later tonight i can explain, i just need to gather myself" i plead, looking in to her eyes.

She looks back at the door, it looks like she is about to kick it down before she turns back and sighing.

"Fine, i'll go, but i will be back" she says walking back down and out of the house.

I stand in shock for a few minutes before remembering James.

I whip around and unlock the door, carefully opening it to see him sitting on the edge of the bed, wearing some sweatpants he found in the dresser and a long sleeved black shirt.

"i'm sorry, i slept in" I reply quietly under my breath, although certain he heard me.

"I'ts fine, thank you for letting me stay here, but i think i need to get away, i did try to kill you." he looks at the floor and i can tell he is struggling to not hit something.

I can't even begin to imagine everything he has been through, i have seen bits an pieces but it still isn't enough.

He seemed like the nicest guy before all of this, letting his friend stay over, and being in the army.