Cops and Rosie's

Chapter 9

“Excuse me, ladies.” A female officer said in a stern voice with a thick accent. Shit. Shit. Shit. This can’t be happening right now. My parents are for sure going to make me come home if I get in trouble. “Beach hours are only open till eleven and now it is four in the morning. Have you had anything to drink tonight?” She looks straight at Aubrey with questioning eyes. All Aubrey does it let out a quiet chuckle and rolls her eyes. This is not the time for disrespect Aubrey.

“No mam. We have not.” I begin to say but Aubrey cuts me off.

“Don’t lie to the cop; I have had maybe three or four. I lost count.” Aubrey says now I’m beginning to noticing that she isn’t totally with it. She is swaying a little bit and can’t focus.

“What! Aubrey, you lied to me. You told me that you haven’t had anything to drink tonight.” I yell.

“It’s okay Peyton; it’s not a big deal.” She gives me a scowl.

“Girls!” The police officer snaps. I turn to look back at her. “I was going to give you a warning, but now I will have to run some tests to see if you are under the legal limit. She looks at Aubrey again. “First, I will have you follow this light with only your eyes.” She turns on the miniature flash light and points it in Aubrey’s eyes. Aubrey rolls her eyes at first but then follows the officer’s directions. She moves her eyes from side to side following the light, and aces the first test.

Then, she is told to walk in a straight line. She wobbles a little bit, but manages to walk in a straight line, passing that test. The final test that she has to do is blow into one of those breathalyzers. “Okay now blow as hard as you can until I tell you to stop.” The officer instructs. Aubrey begins to laugh really hard.

“You said blow.” She laughs again.

“You’re so immature.” I say under my breath.

She finally stops laughing and blows on the breathalyzer and the officer tells her to stop. She reads her results. “Your blood alcohol level is at .700 percent, just under the legal limit.

Not realizing that I was holding my breath I let it out. Thank god, I don’t know what I would have done if she was over the legal limit. Would she have gone to jail?

“See, what I told you, it’s not a big deal.” Aubrey says with an annoyed expression on her face.

I didn’t get a chance to respond to her because the officer cuts in, “Okay you passed your test but I am still going to have to order you off the beach with a warning. I don’t want to have to stop you girls again, so go home and get some rest.” She orders in a police tone.

“Okay, thank you officer. It won’t happen again.” I rush so Aubrey doesn’t get a chance to say something that she will regret.

I pull Aubrey’s arm dragging her to the hotel, not saying a word. We reach our room and I finally turn to her. “What happened tonight?” I yell.

“Nothing happened. I just had a few drinks.” I could tell that there was more to it.

“Don’t bullshit me Aubrey, tell me the truth.” I grip her arm slightly.

“Well when you went to sleep I went to see Alejandro, and when I got there I caught him with another girl.” She holds it together but I can tell in her eyes that she is holding back tears.

“I’m so sorry; you should have told me earlier.” I pull her into a hug.

“I didn’t want you to worry; I just wanted to have fun.” She says muffled in my shirt.