Chapter 2

SAM'S POV

 I walk into my art class and sit at my pottery wheel. They tried to put me in theatre, but that obviously wouldn't have worked. The teacher starts taking role. "Gabriel Novak?" that's different. His name wasn't on the role yesterday. She shrugs when nobody answers and continues. After she's done, she starts instructing us for todays lesson "Today, I will be letting you make whatever you want."

 Not a minute later, my hands are filthy with clay and a short, long brown haired boy walks in, sucker in between his teeth. "This is Ceramics 1, right?"

 The teacher smiles "I'm guessing you're Gabriel?" the boy nods and she takes a note from him. It's probably from the office "Go ahead and sit at a wheel."

 He looks around, before spotting me and walking up and sitting next to the wheel next to me. "Hi, I'm Gabriel." he smiles.

 I nod and continue sculpting my lantern. He looks at me puzzled, until the Daya, who sits two wheels down from Gabriel, pipes up "Hey dude." Gabriel turns to her "He doesn't talk."

 Gabriel nods and turns to his back to his wheel, placing clay on it and rolling up his sleeves "Do you sign?" I nod and he smiles, weakly "Well, my brother is trying to teach me to sign. If you want to talk, you can always sign."

 I nod and he clears his throat "Mute?" I nod "Where you born with it?" I shake my head. "Do you mind me asking, when did it happen?" I hold up two fingers "Two months?" I shake my head "Years?" I nod "Oh, I'm sorry."

 I shrug and he starts trying to sculpt his clay, only to make it fly clay water, everywhere. I shake my head and stand from my wheel. He jumps when he realizes I'm by his side. "Fuckin...!" I show him the correct speed to run his wheel and the correct way to sculpt. "Thanks." he smiles and I nod, before going back to my wheel.

 At the end of class, I put my lantern on the shelf, marking it unfinished. Gabriel walks up and puts a lopsided bowl next to my lantern. "Where are you headed to now, beanstalk?" I frown. Yeah, I'm tall, but I'm not that tall. But then again, Gabriel is short. Really short. "I could use some help finding my classes."

 I grab his schedule and look it up and down. 'Second period: A109, English 2, Jones.' I smile and lead him to out of the class. I show him to his class and point to the door next to it, then at me "Is that your class?"

 I nod as the bell rings. I turn to leave, but he stops me "I didn't get your number." I scuff silently and grab his schedule, scribbling my number. He smiles "Thanks."

 I nod and head to class.

 As soon as I sit in my seat, I gets a spitball to the back of the head. I ignore it and look at my buzzing phone. (Gabe:Bold. Sam:Italics)

 I never got your name.

 I smile and save the number under Candyman, before texting back:

 Sam.

 Not a minute later, he replies:

 My next door neighbor is named Sam... but I've never met him.

 Before I can reply, he texts again:

 My brother is crushing on his brother, though...

 I smile and text:

 Well, I guess you're open to gay people, then?

 Yeah, why?

 I'm bisexual...

 There's a second where I'm left on read, but then I hear a high-pitched sound and the next door teacher insist "Mister Novak, I will not allow distractions in my class!"

 The I hear a "I'm sorry."

 Oh, I'm cool with that ;)

 Sorry, I gotta go, Jones is Jonesing...

 I smile, only to have my phone snatched out of my hand "Why the hell are you smiling, ya fucking tard?" Azazel asks, before he frowns "Who's Candyman?" he reads the conversation and bursts out laugh "You're a fucking fag!" her turnstile to the class and screams "Broken jukebox is a cocksucker!"

 The teacher tries to interrupt, but it's too late. I knee him, hard, in the balls. He cries out in agony and I punch him in the nose, breaking it instantly "Mister Winchester! Outside, now!" the teacher demands. I grab my bag and walk outside.

 The teacher sighs as he steps out after me "I've read your file, Sam." I move my jacket in my hand, looking around the hallway "I get it, okay? PTSD is normal with that kind of thing." he fakely punches my shoulder "I get the whole, vow of silence thing, it's only PTSD."

 I look into Gabriel's class to see him staring at me, along with the rest of the class. I shake my head at my teacher and grab a piece of paper out of my bag, along with a pin. I write "PTSD isn't normal for a fourteen year old."

 He sighs "You're right, it's not." he shrugs "You've been through a lot, Sam. It's nothing a twelve year old should have had to deal with." he clears his throat "I'm not going to write you up, but know that I will next time this happens... as far as Azazel, he'll be transferred out of my class."

 I scuff and take the piece of paper "Trust me, that won't solve anything." I write, before walking back in class.

 "Sam." he says. I turned back to him and he frowns "What was that conversation about? In the classroom..."

 Shrugging, I show him my phone and he reads the messages from Gabriel aka Candyman. After a second, he glances up into Jones class, only to find Gabriel staring at us. "Oh, well, I think 'Mister Candyman' is crushing on you." I urgely point to my chest, questioning his sanity "Yeah Sam."

 I practically snatch the paper out of his hand, writing "Gabe would never be into me!" I run my fingers through my hair as he reads it.

 He smiles "You're a good looking kid. You're tall." he leans against the wall "It would be easy for someone to like you." he shrugs "If they really care for you."

 I smile and nod "Now, back to class." He says, holding the door. I walk back to my seat and wait for Mister Wyatt's lesson.

GABE'S POV

 At the end of class, I meet up with Sam "Hey Samwich." he gives a weak smile "What happened during class?"

 He shrugs and signs "Guy took my phone and told the club I'm gay, so I kneed him in the dick and broke his nose." I stop dead in my tracks and he signs "What?"

 "How are you not at the principles office, or something?" I ask. Better yet "How did you survive that?"

 He shrugs "The school chops mystery muten up to PTSD and the teachers in this school have heard my story." He signs.

 I shake my head, before smiling, weakly "Do you mind if I ask?" he stares at me, almost ready to punch "Never mind, you don't have to tell me..."

 He thinks for a second "I'll tell you, one day" he signs.

~

 By the end of school, I find that Sam and I have six classes together. Ceramics, two Study halls, health, a computer class and a cooking class. Our school has A days and B days. On A days, we have computers, study hall and cooking, together. On B days, we have Ceramics, Study hall and Health.

 I learned a lot about Sam, so far. He loves books, he's fourteen, he's got two brothers, he has a strange thing for Vince Vincent and he hates clowns. I found the last one out because he saw an IT poster, went white, then turned in the opposite direction, making us five minutes late for Health.

 I have to say, I are like Sam... maybe more than a friend... okay, definately more than a friend.

~

 "Gabe!" Luci screams "It's time to go over to the Winchester's!"

 I groan. This is the seventh welcome-to-the-neighborhood dinner party I've been to this year. Honestly, I hate them more than everything.