Chapter 1

( The Bold means what Amanda Waller is saying)

4 months ago

Archeologists and sisters June and Ryland Moone.

Ryland shoved plants out of the way, letting out an exhausted huff of breath.

They'd been searching for the cave for 3 weeks, with no results. Each time they left their base and found nothing they lost more and more hope. She sighs, looking down at her device. The radar stands still, not making any sound. 

She closes her eyes and takes in another breath of the hot and humid air around them. She'd grown used to the humidity, and the mosquitoes, and everything in the jungle. As an archeologist, she loved the wild. 

But it was tiring. They would search day and night without any avail, and it was starting to take a toll on both the sisters.

She looks around, disappointed that the radar doesn't detect any abnormal activity. 

June trails behind her, silently looking at her sister's back.

Ryland turns around to face June, sweat lining her brow. 

"We aren't going to find it here. We should look in another place" Ryland says, defeat on her tone.

June frowns, biting her lip and looking at her sister "I know we haven't found anything, YET, but please let's keep on trying" she begs. It had taken her so long for her to find an approximation of the cave, and she wasn't going to give up until she found it.

Ryland sighs, closing her eyes and contemplating. She opens them after a moment, looking at her sister and then nodding. 

"Fine. But only for an hour. After that, we head back to camp, we pack our bags and leave"

June smiles and nods, the last ray of hope sparking inside her. She takes Ryland's hands into her own, grabbing them tightly. "Yes. I promise"

She turns around, motioning at the other people behind her to keep moving. 

Ryland turns forwards and continues to walk, her legs tired from walking days and nights.

She moves plants out of the way, muttering out curses to herself about how she was tired just as she comes out into a clearing. She stops, looking around. 

They seemed to be at the top of a hill, looking down at the jungle. The sun was setting on one side, but there was still a lot of light. It took Ryland's breath away. Not a lot of things impressed her... but this was ethereal. 

She looks behind her, her brow furrowing.

"Hey June, where did you say the cave was?" She questions, a small smile tinting on her lips.

June walks forward, map on her hand. She doesn't look up as she enters the small clearing.

"According to this map... the cave should be about half a mile from here" She mutters "Which means that we should be able to see it by now?" She questions to herself, biting her lip before looking up directly at her sister.