Chapter 27

Keeper sits there, besides her sister, a defeated look on her face as she stares into the void.

In the thousands of years that the both sisters had been alive, neither of them could recall a time were they were so utterly and completely useless. Keeper liked to show power and strength, to rule and overpower. But now all she had was her rags and her dirty jewelry.

Keeper looks at Katana, and both sisters crawl towards her with the little energy they have left.

"Let us join our brother" Keeper mutters, staring up at her, her eyes glistening.

Katana raises her sword over he head, ready to strike the both of them.

"Katana no!" Rick shouts, stopping her from swinging her sword at the last second.

Rick steps forward, grabbing the both of their hearts from Boomerang, and stepping forward towards them.

"Bing her back. Bring Ryland back" he says to Keeper as he holds the both hearts in his hand. His tone is desperate, his eyes bloddshot and red, showing how tired and drained of all energy he is.

Keeper inches towards him, and smiles wickedly.

"She's not coming back" She says deeply as she snickers at him.

Rick hesitates, showing the both sisters the two hearts he holds in his hand and looks at the both of them.

"I'll crush them. Do you hear me? You bring both of them back or I crush them!" He yells, desperate as his eyes switch from Enchantress to Keeper.

"Go ahead" Keeper rasps, as she pulls back.

"You don't have the balls" she says, smiling wickedly at him.

Rick stares at the both of them, and for a moment he thinks of Ryland. How she would never come back if he did this. For a second he thinks of not doing it.

But then he remembers the promise he had made Ryland. How getting rid of Keeper is what she would have wanted. How she has sacrificed herself for the greater good.

And then he squezes both of their hearts.

Keeper screams in pain, clutching her chest as it glows brightly. Her eyes stop shining the deep crimson red they had been a few moment ago, and turn a chocolate shade of brown. And Rick can now see Ryland's scared face as she falls to the ground, dead.

Enchantress lays besides her, her body limp.

Rick sits there, the truth finally dawning on him.

He killed the love of his life.

Ryland, who hadn't cared about his past, who had only cared about their future together. Ryland who had never experienced life to the fullest because of a tragedy that she had to endure.

And he had killed her. He had killed Ryland.

And he can't help but let a few sobs escape him.

The person who had pulled him from the depths of desperation, the person who had loved him unconditionally — and almost recklessly. The person whom he couldn't live without, was lying in front of him, dead, and there was nothing he could do. 

Rick couldn't help but feel guilty. For everything he had put her through these past 24 hours.

The rest of the team is silent.

Harley looks at Deadshot, who is looking at the ground in sadness.

She herself can't belive that someone whom she had spent a period of three days, who, you might have said, was her companion, was dead.