Sixteen

"Alright, we have to-" Newt had begun saying while trying to tie his bow tie, failing miserably as he was doing so. (Name) had walked over and gently took the tie out of his hands, tying it for him. He watched her, his soft eyes falling on her while his smile grew. She glanced up at him once she had finished. Her eyes had been the slightest bit dilated while looking at him, she had glanced down after a moment.

"Where'd you learn to tie a bow tie?" Newt had asked, tilting his head slightly to the side. The girl had shrugged before furrowing her brows. "I.. I don't know actually." She had said gently before looking back up at the man. He still had a soft smile on his face, one that seemed like it would never fade. After a moment of looking at one another, he cleared his throat gently and stood straight up once more. He looked around the apartment as if to make sure no one else was there, just in case somehow he would get in trouble once more. "We're going to have to find the mooncalves that have escaped. Those guys only come out at night though, so we have a bit of time to kiss-" he froze in his place and his cheeks slowly grew red.

"Kill. Sorry. Time to kill." He corrected.

The girl had blushed slightly before smiling gently up at him, moving onto her toes and passionately kissing the tall man. His cheeks had been a soft shade of pink before hesitantly wrapping his arms around her, the room falling silent. Nothing could be heard except the soft hum of cars outside. He had smiled slightly before tilting his head to the side slightly, allowing the kiss to deepen. He moved away after a moment, biting his lip and resting his head on hers.

"I don't want to hurt you." He had said gently while closing his eyes, putting some of her hair behind her ear. She had looked at his closed eyes for a moment before sighing, closing hers. "How would you hurt me?" She had asked gently, a tone that was barely loud enough to be considered a whisper. He had gently stepped back from the girl, his arms falling to his sides as his head fell to the ground. "I don't want to get you in trouble." He had said gently before biting his lip. (Name) watched him, her brows furrowing a bit.

"Newt? What are you talking about?" She had asked gently, her voice filled with concern. He had gently bit his lip for a moment before sitting down, putting his head in his hands. "(Name)-" He sighed. "Wizards, they just- they can't be with humans. Not in New York." His voice sounded shaky. He had this conversation with the girl once before, and now he was having it all over again. She had taken his hands off his face, holding both in her much smaller ones. She had a soft and confident smile on her lips while looking at him. "Newt, this could work. You know-" Newt had cut her off, moving his hands away quickly before running a hand in his strawberry blonde locks. He paced the room, a bitter scoff escaping his lips. 

"You know it could. We could." He finished for her. Her eyes had widened slightly before they had narrowed, her arms crossing over her chest. Her brows furrowed while her heart began to race. "Is this some kind of stupid wizard trick? Are you SERIOUS?" She had shouted to the man who was now pacing back and forth through the room. Newt had looked over at her, chewing on thin bottom lip a bit. "(Name), we have had this conversation before." He says a bit hesitantly, walking past her with a gust of air pushing against her face.

"Stop pacing like some dog and talk to me!" She had shouted, grabbing his arm and holding him in place. Newt had quickly stopped, his eyes a bit wide in surprise. He had looked her face over, his heart sinking a bit. He hadn't seen this look on her face since.... since that day. 

It was a mix of hurt and fear, one that made his heart ache in his chest. He opened his mouth to speak, but nothing had come out. He closed his mouth quickly, blinking a few times before his eyes had fallen to the floor. "I.. I can't lose you again." He said in a broken tone, his voice cracking and his eyes watering. Her furrowed brows had relaxed once she had seen his pained expression. They curled upwards in a look concern. Her hand moved from his arm, trailing up onto his shoulder. "Newt... What do you mean... Again?" Her voice had dripped with concern and ache, finally, all at once, Newt couldn't hold back his tears any longer. 

"I'm so so sorry" Is all he had said.