Chapter 17: Rumors and lies

Sam

It's six p.m. when we finally arrive home. I find my car parked in the drive way, which means Bobbi is at her place. I run upstairs to take a shower, since Alex had to be home by six and skipped the shower at school. I finish in the bathroom and head into my room just in time to answer my phone. I smile when I see Bobbi's picture appear on the screen announcing she is the caller.

"Hey, babe," I say.

"Hey," she replies. "You tired?" she asks.

"A bit. Why?"

"I was wondering if you could help me with my algebra homework," she says sighing.

"Sure. I'll be right over."

"No, I'll come to you. Did you eat anything?" she asks.

"Not yet."

"Do you want me to bring you something? Mom made eggplant parmesan with garlic bread. You want some?"

"Yeah. Sure. But I'll come over."

"You sure?" she asks. She sounds like she doesn't want me there.

"I mean if it's okay with you," I say apprehensive.

"Of course it's okay."

"I'll be right there. Love you."

"Love you, too," she replies and hangs up. What was that? It really sounded like she didn't want me there.

I get my own homework and leave a note on the kitchen table for my parents to know where I am, although they know I'm either with Bobbi or Justin. I walk the short distance to the Moore's house and knock on the door. Bobbi opens it smiling. She pulls me inside and kisses me fiercely. I let my books fall to the ground and wrap my arms around her, pulling her closer, leaving no space between us. When we part we are both breathless and smile goofily.

"What was that for?" I ask her.

"I've missed you," she says. "Come on. Let's go upstairs."

"Shouldn't we stay here? I don't think your dad will be pleased if we lock your door again," I say with a chuckle. A couple of weeks ago Bobbi and I were home alone and even though we didn't go all the way we were both in our underwear and making out on her bed. I think if it wouldn't have been for her dad knocking on the door we would have had sex. We quickly got dressed and Bobbi managed to sneak me out. She told her dad she wanted to be alone and that's why she locked the door. She says he believed her, but the next day he was eyeing me suspiciously.

"Don't worry. I won't take advantage of your innocence," she says giggling. I laugh at that and follow her upstairs after picking up my books.

"I thought you would feed me some of your mom's famous eggplant," I say jokingly.

"I am. It's upstairs. First you help me with algebra, then you get to eat," she says looking over her shoulder, a mischievous grin on her face.

"That's called blackmail," I say.

"Good thing you love me," she says laughing.

"Yeah. Good thing."

I help her with her homework and when she gets the hang of it I sit on her bed eating dinner. When I'm done I want to take my plate downstairs, but Bobbi insists she will do it later. I leave it on her nightstand and start reading the history chapter for tomorrow's oral test.

Around nine p.m. we are both exhausted and even though I would love to stay with her I decide to go home. We have a tough morning tomorrow and I want to be rested. I kiss her goodbye, lingering for a while, before I finally head back home.